A Maintenance Metric Model for Open Source Governance
The adoption of Open Source in industrial applications has increased in the last years. In this context the need to provide answers to high levels of Maintenance arises. Therefore it is critical to select Open Sources components to be integrated in a software system according to their Maintenance characteristics. The work presents a Metric Model and its related Decision Model for OS Governance and in particular for selecting OSs according to their Maintenance Level. The Metric Model was obtained individuating some automatically calculable measures from a group of projects available on the Web. The measures were validated on several OSs used in industrial projects. The results are of interest and encourage future research.
KeywordsOpen Source Maintenance Activity Decision Table Open Source Project Maintenance Level
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
We would like to express our thanks to Prof. Giuseppe Visaggio for his contribution and suggestions during this work.
- 3.Conover, W.J. (1980), Practical Nonparametric Statistics, New York, Wiley.Google Scholar
- 4.Capiluppi, A., Lago, P. and Morisio, M. (2003) Evidences in the Evolution of OS Projects through Changelog Analyses- Taking Stock of the Bazaar: 3rd Workshop Open Source Software Engineering, 25th International Conference on Software Engineering: 19–24.Google Scholar
- 5.Fitzgerald, B. (2004) A Critical Look at Open Source, IEEE Computer 37(7): 92–94.Google Scholar
- 6.Wheeler, D.A. Why Open Source Software/Free Software (OS/FS, FLOS, or FOS)? Look at the Numbers!, http://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html.
- 7.Wheeler, D.A. How to Evaluate Open Source Software/Free Software (OS/FS) Programs, http://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_eval.html
- 9.Wahyudin, D., Schatten, A., Winkler, D. and Biffl, S., (2007) Aspects of Software Quality Assurance in Open Source Software Projects: Two Case Studies from Apache Project, Software Engineering and Advanced Applications, 33rd EUROMICRO Conference: 229–236.Google Scholar
- 11.QSOS method available at http://www.qsos.org/download/qsos-1.6-en.pdf.
- 12.Madey, C. (2007) Analysis of Activity in the Open Source Software Development Community, 40th Annual Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, HICSS.Google Scholar
- 13.Liguo, Y., Schach, R.S. and Kai, C. (2005) Measuring the Maintainability of Open-Source Software, Empirical Software Engineering: 17–18.Google Scholar
- 15.Ardimento, P., Cimitile, M., Bruno, G. and Visaggio, G. (2008) Open Source Governance, TR02 (available on request).Google Scholar