Regulation of International Roaming Charges – The Way to Cost-Based Prices?
This paper reviews EU regulation on international roaming and discusses whether this will lead to more cost orientation when setting roaming charges in Europe. First, a cost analysis for providing international roaming is presented. Then, the various proposals put forward during the debate in the EU Parliament are discussed. Finally, the issue of cost orientation is discussed.
KeywordsWholesale Price Retail Prex Wholesale Prex Visit Location Register Home Location Register
- CEC (2006a) Impact assessment of policy options in relation to a commission proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the council on roaming on public mobile networks within the community.Google Scholar
- CEC (2006b) Proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the council on roaming on public mobile networks within the community and amending directive 2002/21/EC on a common regulatory framework for electronic communications networks and services. COM(2006) 382 final. Brussels.Google Scholar
- CEC (2007) 12th report on the implementation of the telecommunications regulatory package – 2006. Vol. 2. Brussels.Google Scholar
- European Parliament (2007a) European Parliament – news press service – MEPs deliver on cheaper roaming: calling rates to drop by the summer holidays.European ParliamentGoogle Scholar
- (2007b) European Parliament legislative resolution of 23 May 2007 on the proposal for a regulation of the European Parliament and of the council on roaming on public mobile networks within the community and amending directive 2002/21/EC on a common regulatory framework for electronic communications networks and services (COM(2006)0382C6-0244/2006/0133(COD)), European Parliament.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2007c). The new EU Regulation to reduce roaming charges ahead of the European Parliament plenary vote: Frequently asked questions, European Commission. MEMO/07/158 Brussels, 23 May 2007.Google Scholar
- INTUG (2006) European Commission – international mobile roaming an INTUG response to the DG information society second phase consultation on roaming charges, INTUG.Google Scholar
- Jervelund C, Karlsen S, et al. (2007) Roaming – an assessment of the commission proposal on roaming. Brussels, European Parliament.Google Scholar
- Kearney AT (2006). International roaming regulation – proposed retail mark-up and allocation of actual industry average retail costs, GSM Association.Google Scholar
- Losco A (2007) Opinion of the committee on economic and monetary affairs, European Parliament.Google Scholar