Marketing Applications of Functional Data Analysis
The Bass (1969) model has been a standard for analyzing and predicting the market penetration of new products. The authors demonstrate the insights to be gained and predictive performance of Functional Data Analysis (FDA), on the market penetration of 760 categories drawn from 21 products and 70 countries. The authors compare a Functional Regression approach to several models including the Classic Bass model.
KeywordsPrincipal Component Score Functional Regression Principal Component Analysis Score Market Penetration Functional Cluster
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chandrasekaran, Deepa and Gerard J Tellis: Di usion of New Products: A Critical Review of Models, Drivers, and Findings, Review of Marketing, 39-80 (2007).Google Scholar
- Chandrasekaran, Deepa and Gerard J Tellis: Global Takeo of New Products: Cul-ture, Economics or Vanishing Di erences forthcoming,. Marketing Science. (2008).Google Scholar
- Hastie, T. J. and Tibshirani, R. J.: Generalized Additive Models. Chapman and Hall. (1990).Google Scholar
- MacQueen, J. B.: Some Methods for classi cation and Analysis of Multivariate ob-servations, Proceedings of 5-th Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, Berkeley, University of California Press, 1, 281-297 (1967).Google Scholar
- Peres, Renana, Eitan Mueller and Vijay Mahajan: "Review of Research on Di usion. forthcoming, Marketing Science. (2007).Google Scholar
- Ramsay, J.O. and Silverman, B.W.: Functional Data Analysis. Springer (2nd Edi-tion). (2005).Google Scholar