The Role of IS Performance Management Systems in Today’s Enterprise
The paper deals with the different roles that IS Performance Management Systems can play in an organization. These systems can be used to measure how IS contributes to business value but they can be also management tools which help IS department to manage and improve its own processes and services and as a consequence IS performance. These roles are both important but usually the second role mentioned is considered a priority, in fact the most common reason which leads to the implementation of IS Performance Management Systems is to support a Governance approach to IS. The fact depends on several reasons: logical sequence of implementation process, organizational readiness, IS maturity of users, power conflicts, information asymmetry, etc. The paper analyses these aspects through the case study of an Italian insurance group.
KeywordsBalance Scorecard Organizational Readiness Information System Research Performance Measurement Approach Performance Management System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Solow, R.S. (1987). We’d Better Watch Out, New York, Times Book Review.Google Scholar
- 3.Strassmann, P. (1990). The Business Value of Computers, New Canaan, CT, The Information Economics Press.Google Scholar
- 5.Soh, C. and Markus, M.L. (1995). How IT Creates Business Value: A Process Theory Synthe-sis. Proceedings of the 16th International Conference on Information Systems, pp. 29-41.Google Scholar
- 9.Alter, S. (1999). The Siamese Twin Problem, Communication of AIS, 2(20): 40-55.Google Scholar
- 11.DeLone, W.H. and McLean, E.R. (2002). Information Systems Success Revisited. Proceed-ings of the 35th Hawaii International Conference on Systems Science, Kona-Kailua, Hawaii.Google Scholar
- 12.Kaplan, R. and Norton, D. (1996). The Balanced Scorecard: Translating Strategy into Action, Boston, MA, Harvard Business School Press.Google Scholar
- 14.Pasini, P. and Canato, A. (2005). Is Performance Management: An Action Research Perspec-tive. Proceedings of the 1st Conference of Italian Association of I.S., Verona.Google Scholar
- 15.Pasini, P., Marzotto, M., and Perego, A. (2005). La misurazione delle prestazioni dei sistemi informativi aziendali, Milano, Egea.Google Scholar