Best Practices for the Innovative Chief Information Officer
The paper illustrates a set of best practices used by successful IT managers to manage IT enabled business innovation. In IT intensive business a key point is to build innovative IT solutions for business innovation sometimes without formal requirements. Based on a panel of the largest and most innovative corporations in Telecommunications, Energy, Utilities and Media we sketch out some best practices to solve this innovation dilemma. Also we discuss best practices for project delivery and operations management, that make a framework of IT management for companies with an aggressive IT strategy. The resulting IT management framework defines a new profile for an innovative, proactive CIO profession.
KeywordsBusiness Process Harvard Business Review Governance Framework Reference Architecture Business Innovation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carr, N.G. (2003), “Does IT matter?” Harvard Business Review, 81(5): 41-49.Google Scholar
- 2.Stewart, J. ed. (2003), “Does IT matter: A HBR debate”, Harvard Business Review, 81(6): 12-14.Google Scholar
- 3.Nolan, R.L. and McFarlan, W.F. (2005), “Information technology and the board of directors”, Harvard Business Review, 83(10):96-106.Google Scholar
- 4.Nolan, R.L. and Gibson, C. (1974), “The four stage of edp growth”, Harvard Business Review on line, January-February, 76-78.Google Scholar
- 5.Nolan, R.L. (1985), Managing the Data Resource Function, West Publishing, New York.Google Scholar
- 6.Francalanci, C. and Motta, G. (2001), “Pianificazione e strategia dei sistemi informativi” in: Bracchi G., Francalanci C., and Motta G. (eds.), Sistemi informativi ed aziende in rete, McGraw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- 7.Cap è , C., Motta, G., and Troiani, F. (2005), Chief Information Officer, Ilsole24Ore, Milano.Google Scholar
- 8.Capè, C., Motta, G., and Troiani, F. (2005), “Chief Information Officer”, Sviluppo e Organiz-zazione, 84(2): 133-145.Google Scholar
- 9.Davenport, T.H. (2005), “The coming commmoditization of processes”, Harvard Business Review, 83(6):101-108.Google Scholar
- 10.Venkatraman, N. (1997), “Beyond outsourcing: Managing IT resources as a value center”, Sloan Management Review, 38(3):51-64.Google Scholar