A Solution to Knowledge Management in Information-Based Services Based on Coopetition. A Case Study Concerning Work Market Services
We are investigating how “coopetition” (Co-opetition, New York: Doubleday & Company, 1996; EURAM, Second Annual Conference – Innovative Research in Management, Stockholm, 9–11 May 2002) can improve information-based services by fostering knowledge sharing while safeguarding both competitive interests and business objectives of the involved actors. We explore the issues related to the development and to the governance of a coopetitive scenario. Furthermore, we explore the network forms of organization for modelling large coopetitive settings. In this paper we present a case study concerning the job marketplace intermediation services, namely the Borsa Lavoro project (http://www.borsalavorolombardia.net, 2004), whose goal is to create a job e-marketplace in the Italian Lombardy region. The analysis of the Borsa Lavoro achievements and results provides useful insights about issues arising in a coopetitive setting. We interpret such results according to the coopetitive model and according to the network form of organizations theory.
KeywordsKnowledge Management Network Form Public Administration Private Actor Governance Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brandenburger, A. M. and Nalebuff, B. J. (1996) Co-opetition. Doubleday & Company, New York.Google Scholar
- 2.Dagnino, G. B. and Padula, G. (2002) Coopetition Strategy a new kind of Inter-firm Dynam-ics for Value Creation, EURAM - The European Academy of Management, Second Annual Conference - “Innovative Research in Management”, Stockholm, 9-11 May.Google Scholar
- 3.Borsa Lavoro Lombardia (2004). http://www.borsalavorolombardia.net.
- 4.Kuhn, K. A. and Giuse, D. A. (2001) From hospital information systems to health information systems. Problems, challenges, perspectives. Methods of Information in Medicine, 40(4):275-287.Google Scholar
- 5.Biagi, Law n. 30, 14th February (2003) “Delega al Governo in materia di occupazione e mer-cato del lavoro”, published on “Gazzetta Ufficiale” n. 47, 27 February 2003, Italy.Google Scholar
- 6.Biagi, Government Law (2003) (decreto legislativo) n. 276, 10th September 2003, “Attuazione delle deleghe in materia di occupazione e mercato”.Google Scholar
- 7.Job Network. (1998) http://jobsearch.gov.au.
- 8.Cesarini, M., Celino, I., Cerizza, D., Della, Valle E., De Paoli, F., Estublier, J., Fugini, M., Guarrera, P., Kerrigan, M., Mezzanzanica, M., Gutowsky, Z., Ramìrez, J., Villaz ón, B., and Zhao, G. (2007) SEEMP: A Marketplace for the Labour Market. in Proceedings Of the E-Challenges Conference, October, The Hague, IOS Press.Google Scholar
- 12.Cesarini, M. and Mezzanzanica, M. (2006) Policy Making for Coopetitive Information Systems. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Quality, ICIQ, MIT, Boston.Google Scholar
- 13.Mezzanzanica, M. and Fugini, M. (2003) An Application within the Plan for E-Government: The Workfare Portal, Annals of Cases on Information Technology (ACIT), Journal of IT Teaching Cases, IDEA Group Publisher, Volume VI.Google Scholar
- 14.Cesarini, M., Mezzanzanica, M., and Cavenago, D. (2007) ICT Management Issues in Health-care Coopetitive Scenarios. In Information Resources Management Association International Conference, Vancouver, CA, November.Google Scholar
- 16.Powell, W. (1990) Neither market nor hierarchy: network, forms of organization. Research in Organizational Behavior, 12(4):295-336.Google Scholar
- 17.Larson, A. (1992) Network dyads in entrepreneurial settings: A study of the governance of exchange relationships. Administrative Science Quarterly, 37(1).Google Scholar
- 18.Cesarini, M., Mezzanzanica, M., Fugini, M., Maggiolini, P., and Nanini, K. (2007) “Coopetition”, a Solution to Knowledge Management Problems in Information-based Services? A Case Study Concerning Work Market Services, in Proceedings of the XVII International RESER Conference European Research Network on Services and Space, Tampere, Finland.Google Scholar
- 19.Borsa Lavoro Lombardia Statistics (2006) http://www.borsalavorolombardia.net/pls/portal/ url/page/sil/statistiche.
- 20.ISTAT (2007) Report on workforces (in Italian), “Rilevazione sulle forze lavoro, serie storiche ripartizionali”, I trimestre, http://www.istat.it/salastampa/comunicati/in_ calendario/_forzelav/20070619_00/.