Externalization of a Banking Information Systems Function: Features and Critical Aspects
The growth of financial services is today a reality and carries Italian banks in strong competition in the European market. Unique money introduction, European regulatory dimension and new trend of banking internationalization, which increase the number of subsidiaries in several countries, involve ICT challenges to compete not only in a national contest, but also in a European predominance theatre. The trend, that we analyze in this work, is represented by a strengthening of Information Systems function, with regard to enterprise organizational strategies, like a key-factor to enhance performance and to support new value creation by means of a Service Oriented Architecture paradigm. Starting by this context and considering the “cost management” plan, we analyze the IT services outsourcing strategy with a theoretical approach supported by the empirical case of one of the main banking groups. Besides, this work aims to systematize the current outsourcing process, trying to evaluate ICT impacts and change management aspects.
KeywordsInformation System Strategic Orientation Banking Group Italian Bank Partnership Quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gandolfi, G. and Ruozi, R. (2005). Il ruolo dell'ICT nelle banche italiane: efficienza e creazione di valore, Bancaria EditriceGoogle Scholar
- 2.Rapporto ABI LAB 2007. (2007). Scenario E Trend Del Mereato Iet Per IL Settore Baneario.Presentazione Al Forum ABI LABGoogle Scholar
- 3.De Marco, M. (2000). I Sistemi informativi aziendali, Franco Angeli, MilanoGoogle Scholar
- 4.Williamson, O. (1975). Market and Hierarchies, The Free Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.De Marco, M. (1986). I sistemi informativi: progettazione, valutazione e gestione di un sistema informativo, Franco Angeli, MilanoGoogle Scholar
- 7.ABI-CIPA (2006). Rilevazione dello stato dell'automazione del sistema creditizioGoogle Scholar
- 10.Grover, V., Cheon, M., and Teng, J. (1996). The effect of quality and partnership on the outsourcing of IS functions, Journal of Management Information Systems, 4, 89-116 Google Scholar
- 12.Lacity, M.C. and Willcocks L.P. (2000). Relationships in IT Outsourcing: A Stakeholder Perspective in Framing the Domains of IT Management Research: Glimpsing the Future Through the Past, R. Zmud (ed.), Pinnaflex, CincinnatiGoogle Scholar
- 17.Polanyi, M. (1966). The Tacit Dimension, Doubleday, Garden City, NYGoogle Scholar