Regional high-speed trains on the Svealand line: Evaluation of effects
Several new or upgraded railway lines, primarily for regional or medium distance travel at high speed, have been opened in Sweden since the 1990s. The investment decisions were based on the expected societal benefits of increased accessibility. It was thought that it might be possible to turn regional imbalances, for example in the Stockholm-Mälaren region, into regional development through high-speed train commuting, and unemployment might thus decrease. However, some economists and organisations, for various reasons, have questioned the whole idea of constructing new railways and their possible effects on the travel market and regional development. Therefore, in order to evaluate the effects of the radical change in train service supply, a before and after study was conducted on the new Svealand line.
KeywordsPublic Transport Travel Behaviour Route Choice Railway Station Daily Journey
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Beräkningshandledning (2001) Calculation Guide 2001: BVH 706.00. Banverket [the National Rail Administration], BorlängeGoogle Scholar
- Fröidh O (2003) Introduction of Regional High-Speed Trains: A Study of the Effects of the Svealand Line on the Travel Market, Travel Behaviour and Accessibility. (Ph.D. thesis) KTH, Division of Transportation and Logistics, StockholmGoogle Scholar
- Hultkrantz L, Mortazavi R (2001) Anomalies in the Value of Travel-Time Changes. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy 35:285–300Google Scholar
- Hägerstrand T (1970) What about People in Regional Science? Papers of the Regional Science Association 14:7–21.Google Scholar
- Kottenhoff K (1999) Evaluation of Passenger Train Concepts: Methods and Results of Measuring Travellers’ Preferences in Relation to Costs (Ph.D. thesis). KTH, Division of Traffic and Transport Planning, StockholmGoogle Scholar
- McNally MG (2000) The Four-Step Model. In: Hensher DA, Button KJ (eds) Handbook of Transport Modelling. Pergamon, Oxford, pp 35–52Google Scholar
- Menéndez JM, Coronado JM, Rivas A (2002) El AVE en Ciudad Real y Puertollano. E.T.S.I Caminos, Canales y Puertos, University of Castilla-La Mancha, Ciudad RealGoogle Scholar
- Ortúzar J de D, Willumsen LG (2001) Modelling Transport. 33rd edn Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar