Gradient Descent Based Optimization of Transparent Mamdani Systems
The tradeoff between accuracy and interpretability in fuzzy modeling has shifted into focus in last few years. This paper aims at improving accuracy of linguistic models while maintaining a good interpretability. A new gradient-based method, extended version of Jager approach, is proposed for the optimization of transparent Mamdani systems. The advantage of Mamdani systems if compared to 0th order TS systems in Jager approach is that their interpolation properties allow one to obtain less complex models without loss of accuracy. Several modeling examples confirming the advantages of the chosen algorithm are included.
KeywordsMembership Function Fuzzy System Gradient Descent Interpolation Property Linguistic Label
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nomura, H., Hayashi, I., Wakami, M. (1992) A learning method of fuzzy inference by descent method. Proc. 1st IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems, pp. 485–491, San Diego, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- 2.Guely F., Siarry, P. (1993) Gradient descent method for optimizing various fuzzy rule bases. Proc. 2nd IEEE Int. Conf. Fuzzy Syst., pp. 1241–46, San Francisco, CA, USA.Google Scholar
- 4.Valente de Oliveira, J. (1999) Semantic constraints for membership function optimization. IEEE Trans. Systems, Man and Cybernetics Part A, 29(1), 128–138Google Scholar
- 5.Jager, R. (1995) Fuzzy Logic in Control. Ph.D. dissertation. Technical University of Delft, Delft, Holland.Google Scholar
- 6.Abonyi, J., Nagy, L., Szeifert, F. (1998) Indirect Model Based Control Using Fuzzy Model Inversion. Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Intelligent Syst., pp. 951–956, Vienna, Austria.Google Scholar
- 8.Riid, A., Rüstern, E. (2000) Transparent fuzzy systems and modeling with transparency protection. Proc. IFAC Symp. on Artificial Intelligence in Real Time Control, pp. 229–234. Budapest, Hungary.Google Scholar
- 9.Riid, A. (2002) Transparent Fuzzy Systems: Modeling and Control. Ph. D. dissertation. Tallinn Technical University, Tallinn, Estonia.Google Scholar
- 10.Jang, J.-S. R., Sun, C.-T., Mizutani, E. (1997) Neuro-Fuzzy and Soft Computing. Prentice Hall.Google Scholar