Reasoning in Structured Bayesian Networks
The paper proposes a new type of Bayesian networks, so-called Structured Bayesian Networks (SBN). A new reasoning paradigm is proposed for SBN that is much simpler than for the general type Bayesian networks because the NP hard transformation to Markov trees can be avoided.
KeywordsBayesian Network Bayesian Belief Network Junction Tree Efficient Reasoning Junction Node
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Cercone et al., 1997]Cercone N., Wong S.K.M., Xiang Y.: A ‘Microscopic’ study of minimum entropy search in learning decomposable Markov networks. Machine Learning,1997, vol. 26, nr 1..65–92Google Scholar
- [Cheng et al., 1997]Cheng J., Bell D.A. and Liu W.: Learning belief networks from data: an information theory based approach. Proceedings of the Sixth ACM Int. Conf. on Information and Knowledge Management, 1997.Google Scholar
- [Cooper, 1990]
- [Geiger et al., 1990]Geiger D., Verma T., Pearl J.: D-Separation: From theorems to algo-rithms. M.Henrion, et.al eds.. Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence 5, Elsevier 139–148Google Scholar
- [Klopotek, 2002]Klopotek M.A., Well-Structured Program Graphs and the issue of local computations. To appear in Proc. Intelligent Inf. Systems Conf., Sopot, 3–6 June 2002.Google Scholar
- [Koller, Pfeffer, 1997]Koller D., Pfeffer A.: Object-Oriented Bayesian Networks. Proc. Of the 13th Conf. on Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence (UAI-97), 1997, 302–313Google Scholar
- [Laurizen, 1988]Lauritzen, S.L., and Spiegelhalter, D.J. Local computations with prob-abilities on graphical structures and their application to expert systems. J. R. Statist. Soc.B-50(1988)157–224Google Scholar
- [Pearl, 1988]Pearl J.: Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems: Networks of Plausible Inference. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo CA, 1988Google Scholar
- [Shachter, 1990]Shachter B.D.: Evidence absorption and propagation through evidence reversals. In M. Henrion, B.D. Shachter, L.N. Kanal, J.F. Lemmer (eds): Uncertainty in Artificial Intelligence 5, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V (1990), 173–190Google Scholar
- [Shafer, 1996]Shafer, G.: Probabilistic Expert Systems, SIAM CBMS-NSF Regional Conference Series in Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, 1996, vol. 67Google Scholar
- [Spirtes et al., 1993]Spirtes P., Glymour C., Scheines R.: Causation, Prediction and Search, Lecture Notes in Statistics 81, Springer-Verlag, 1993.Google Scholar