A Floating-Point Based Evolutionary Algorithm for Model Parameters Extraction and Optimization in HBT Device Simulation
In this paper, we extract the HBT model parameters with a computational intelligence algorithm for the optimal VLSI device characterization. For a specified VLSI circuit, the proposed method to solve the HBT equivalent model and to extract parameters is based on the monotone iterative (MI) method and the genetic algorithm (GA) with floating-point operators. First, a set of nonlinear equations is solved with the MI method, and the solved results are used for the optimization with the GA method. The iteration will be stopped when the self-consistent convergent solution is obtained. Our simulation results demonstrate this method has excellent convergent property and highly computational efficiency. The approach not only provides a novel alternative for optimal VLSI circuit and device design but also has many practical applications in nanodevice I-V characterization, RF circuit optimization and system-on-a-chip function design.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Genetic Algorithm Method VLSI Circuit Dynamic Mutation Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. F. Man, et al., (1998) Genetic Algorithm for Control and Signal Processing. Springer.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Menozzi, et al., (1996) Small signal modeling for microwave FET linear circuits based on a genetic algorithm. IEEE Trans. Circ. Syst. -I, vol. 43, pp. 839–847.Google Scholar
- 3.D. R. Pehlke and D. Pavlidis, (1992) Evaluation of the factors determining HBT high-frequency performance by direct analysis of S-parameter data. IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techn., vol. 40, pp. 2367–2373.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Li, et al., (1999) A Novel Approach for the Two-Dimensional Simulation of Submicron MOSFET’s Using Monotone Iterative Method. IEEE International Symposium of VLSI Technology, Systems, and Applications, Taipei, June, 1999, 27–30.Google Scholar
- 6.K.-Y. Huang, et al., (2001) A Computational Efficient Method for HBT Inter-modulation Distortions and Two-Tone Characteristics Simulation. Simulation of Semiconductor Processes and Devices. Springer, Verlag Wien, 226–229.Google Scholar
- 7.W. M. Spears and K. De Jong. (1991) One the Virtues of Parameterized Uniform Crossover. The Fourth International Conference on Genetic Algorithm, 230–236.Google Scholar