Indiscernibility-Based Formalization of Dependencies in Information Systems
Various classes of data constraints in information systems are modelled by means of indiscernibility relations induced by sets of attributes. A relational logic is presented that enables us to express these constraints. A proof system for the logic is given and its completeness is proved with respect to a class of algebras of relations generated by indiscernibility relations. Some other classes of models for the logic are defined that correspond to typical kinds of constraints in information systems. Decidability of the validity problem with respect to these classes of models is discussed and some classes of formulas with the decidable validity problem are given.
KeywordsBinary Relation Word Problem Proof System Database Model Proof Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Armstrong, W. W.: (1974) Dependency structures of database relationships. Proceedings IFIP’74, 580–583Google Scholar
- Buszkowski, W. and Orlowska, E.: (1985) On the logic of database dependencies. Proceedings of the Fourth Hungarian Computer Science Conference, 373–383Google Scholar
- Buszkowski, W. and Orlowska, E.: (1986) Relational calculus and data dependencies. ICS PAS Report 583, WarsawGoogle Scholar
- Clifford, A. H. and Preston, G. B.: (1964) The Algebraic Theory of Semigroups. Vol. I, American Mathematical Society, ProvidenceGoogle Scholar
- Codd, E. F.: (1972) Further normalization of the data base relational model. In: Rustin, R. (ed) Data Base Systems. Prentice—Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 33–64Google Scholar
- Fagin, R. and Vardi, M. Y.: (1986) The theory of data dependencies: a survey. In: Anshel, M. and Gewirtz, W.: (eds) Mathematics of Information Processing. Symposia in Applied Mathematics, Vol 34, 19–72Google Scholar
- Kanellakis, P. C.: (1990) Elements of relational database theory. In: Van Leeuwen, J. (ed) Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science. Elsevier Science Publishers, 1075–1156Google Scholar
- Orlowska, E.: (1987) Algebraic approach to database constraints. Fundamenta Informaticae 10,57— 68. See also: Report 182, Langages et Systemes Informatiques, Toulouse, 1983Google Scholar
- Orlowska, E.: (1988) Relational interpretation of modal logics. In: Andreka, H., Monk, D. and Nemeti, I. Algebraic Logic. Colloquia Mathematica Societatis Janos Bolyai 54, North Holland, Amsterdam, 443–471Google Scholar
- Ullman, J.: (1988) Principles of Database and Knowledge Base Systems. Vol. I. Computer Science Press, RockvilleGoogle Scholar