Rough Sets and Algebras of Relations
A survey of results is presented on relationships between the algebraic systems derived from the approximation spaces induced by information systems and various classes of algebras of relations. Rough relation algebras are presented and it is shown that they form a discriminator variety. A characterisation of the class of representable rough relation algebras is given. The family of closure operators derived from an approximation space is abstractly characterised as certain type of Boolean algebra with operators. A representation theorem is given which says that every such an algebra is isomorphic with a similar algebra that is derived from an information system.
KeywordsBinary Relation Closure Operator Relation Algebra Approximation Space Discriminator Variety
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Co2]Corner, S.: On connections between information systems, rough sets, and algebraic logic. In: Algebraic Methods in Logic and Computer Science, Banach Center Publications, 28, (1993), 117–124Google Scholar
- [HMT2]Henkin, L., Monk, J.D. & Tarski, A.: Cylindric Algebras. Part II, North Holland, Amsterdam, (1985)Google Scholar
- [Jo2]Jónsson, B.: The theory of binary relations. In: Algebraic Logic, edited by Andréka, H., Monk, J.D. & Németi, I.: volume 54 of Colloquia Mathematica Societatis Jänos Bolyai, North Holland, Amsterdam, (1991), 245–292Google Scholar
- [Kal]Katrinâ,k, T.: Construction of regular double p—algebras. Bull. Soc. Roy. Sci. Liège, 43, (1974), 294–301Google Scholar
- [Mol]Monk, J.D.: Mathematical Logic. Springer, (1976)Google Scholar
- [TG1]Tarski, A. Si Givant, S.: A Formalization of Set Theory without Variables. Volume 41 of Colloquium Publications, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, (1987)Google Scholar