Rough Sets and Multisets in a Model of Information Retrieval
A model of information retrieval using rough sets and fuzzy multisets is considered. Fuzzy multiset theory is described and fundamental Operations are defined. Rough sets are reviewed in relation to multisets. The present model of information retrieval uses a single universe in which different types of information items are collected and multirelations describe associations between the information items. Equivalence classes for rough sets and their extension to multisets are moreover studied. Since current search techniques on the World Wide Web handle redundant information pieces with degrees of relevance, the present method is appropriate as the theoretical framework for them, the up-to-date methods of information retrieval.
KeywordsInformation Retrieval Transitive Closure Information Item General Query Fuzzy Equivalence Relation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Funakoshi, K. and Ho, T.B. (1996): Information Retrieval by Rough Tolerance Relation. Proc. of the 4th Intern. Gonf. on Rough Sets, Puzzy Sets, and Machine Discovery, Nov. 6–8, 1996, Tokyo, 31–35Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, K.S. and Miyamoto, S. (1996): Application of Fuzzy Multisets to Puzzy Database Systems. Proc. of 1996 Asian Puzzy Systems Symposium, Dec. 11–14, 1996, Renting, Taiwan, R.O.C. 115–120Google Scholar
- 6.Knuth, D.E. (2969): The Art of Computer Programming, Vol.2/Seminumerical Algorithms. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MassachusettsGoogle Scholar
- 11.Miyamoto, S. (1997). Fuzzy Multisets with Infinite Collections of Memberships. Proc. of the 7th International Fuzzy Systems Association World Congress (IFSA’97), June 25–30, 1997, Prague, Chech, Vol.1, 61–66Google Scholar
- 12.Miyamoto, S. and Kim, K.S. (1998): An Image of Fuzzy Multisets by One Variable Function and Its Application. J. of Japan Society for Fuzzy Theory and Systems, 10, 1, 157–167 (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 13.Miyamoto, S. and Kim, K.S. (1998): Multiset-Valued Images of Fuzzy Sets. Proc. of the Third Asian Fuzzy Systems Symposium, June 18–21, 1998, Masan, Korea, 543–548Google Scholar