Query Planning with Information Quality Bounds
Query planning for information integration using a local-as-view approach is exponential in the size of the user query. Furthermore, it may generate an exponential number of plans, many of which will produce results of very poor quality. We propose to use information quality reasoning to speed up query planning. We construct tight upper quality bounds for a branch & bound algorithm. The algorithm uses these quality scores to filter out non-promising plans early on. Experiments show that this approach dramatically improves planning time without compromising the quality of the result.
KeywordsInformation Quality User Query Query Planning Compatibility Test Correct Plan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A.K. Chandra and P.M. Merlin. Optimal implementation of conjunctive queries in relational databases. In Proceedings of the ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pages 77–90, 1977.Google Scholar
- 2.O.M. Duschka and M.R. Genesereth. Answering recursive queries using views. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS), pages 109–116, Tucson, Arizona, 1997.Google Scholar
- 3.M.A. Jeusfeld, C. Quix, and M. Jarke. Design and analysis of quality information for data warehouses. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Conceptual Modeling (ER), pages 349–362, Singapore, November 1998.Google Scholar
- 4.A.Y. Levy, A.O. Mendelzon, Y. Sagiv, and D. Srivastava. Answering queries using views. In Proceedings of the Symposium on Principles of Database Systems (PODS), pages 95–104, San Jose, CA, 1995.Google Scholar
- 5.A.Y. Levy, A. Rajaraman, and J.J. Ordille. Querying heterogeneous information sources using source descriptions. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB), pages 251–262, Bombay, India, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Motro and I. Rakov. Estimating the quality of databases. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Flexible Query Answering Systems (FQAS),Roskilde, Denmark, May 1998. Springer Verlag.Google Scholar
- 7.F. Naumann, U. Leser, and J.C. Freytag. Quality-driven integration of het-erogenous information systems. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Very Large Databases (VLDB), Edinburgh, 1999.Google Scholar
- 8.X. Qian. Query folding. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE), pages 48–55, New Orleans, LA, 1996.Google Scholar
- T.C. Redman. The impact of poor data quality in the typical enterprise. Com munications of the ACM,41(2):79–82, 1998.Google Scholar
- 10.J.D. Ullman. Information integration using logical views. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Database Theory (ICDT), pages 19–40, Delphi, Greece, 1997.Google Scholar