Flexible Queries in the eCommerce Shopping Mall: A Discursive Analysis
The focus of this paper is on flexibility in a “query-answering” system which includes the user who generates the queries as well as other components of the system responsible for interpreting and fulfilling the query. Furthermore, the emphasis is expanded from pure “queries” which can be satisfied by information alone to generalized queries which may be satisfied by some combination of information, services, and physical goods not initially known in detail by the user. In order to carry out these comparisons and contrasts in a manner that uncovers potentially useful implications for internet infrastructure providers, consumer oriented enterprises, and business-to-business enterprises, we will use an analytic approach based on the post-structural theories of Michel Foucault.
KeywordsElectronic Commerce Shopping Mall Electronic Data Interchange Pantheon Book Grammatical Sentence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Becker, Gary. Housework: The missing piece of the economic pie. Business Week. n3446. Oct 16, 1995. p. 30Google Scholar
- 2.Chomsky, Noam. Cartesian Linguistics, Harper & Row, 1966.Google Scholar
- 3.Date, C.J. and Dawson, Hugh. A Guide to the SQL Standard, 3rd Edition. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, MA, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.Foucault, Michel. The Archaeology of knowledge translated from the French by A. M. Sheridan Smith. New York: Harper & Row, 1972.Google Scholar
- 5.Foucault, Michel. The birth of the clinic; an archaeology of medical perception. Translated from the French by A. M. Sheridan Smith. Naissance de la clinique. English [1st American ed.]New York, Pantheon Books [ 1973 ]Google Scholar
- 6.Foucault, Michel. Discipline and punish: the birth of the prison translated from the French by Alan Sheridan. 1st American ed. New York: Pantheon Books, c1977.Google Scholar
- 7.Landgrave, T., “From HTML to XML: A Language Lesson on the Future of the Web,” TechRepublic, February 2, 2000.Google Scholar
- 8.Levi-Strauss, Claude. Structural Anthropology Basic Books, 1963; Penguin Press, 1968Google Scholar
- 9.Lyotard, Jean-Francois. The Differend: Phrases in Dispute translated by Georges Van Den Abbeele, University of Minnesota press 1988Google Scholar