Measuring Effectiveness in Fuzzy Information Retrieval
We investigate extensions of the classical measurement of effectiveness in information retrieval systems, precision and recall, to situations where the answer is modeled by a fuzzy set, such as in cases where each object in the answer is measured by its relevance to the query. The most used fuzzy extension of the classical precision-recall measure based on Zadeh’s relative cardinality appears to be counter-intuitive in some situations. We propose a new approach to the measurement of effectiveness, based on the evaluation of quantified sentences.
KeywordsInformation Retrieval Membership Degree Fuzzy Subset Information Retrieval System Fuzzy Measure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Buell and Kraft, 1981a) Buell, D.A. and Kraft, D.H. “A Model for a WeightedGoogle Scholar
- Retrieval Systems“. Journal of the American Society for Information Science 32(3),pp. 211–216.Google Scholar
- Buell and Kraft, 1981b) Buell, D.A. and Kraft, D.H. “Performance Measurement in aGoogle Scholar
- Fuzzy Retrieval Enviroment“. In Proc. of the Fourth International Conference on Information Storage and Retrieval,Oakland,CA. ACM/SIGIR Forum, 16(1), pp. 56–62, 1981Google Scholar
- (Delgado et.al. 1999)(Delgado et.al. 1999) Delgado, M., Sanchez, D. Martin-Bautista, M.J. and Vila, M.A. A Logic Based Definition of Fuzzy Cardinality. Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Submitted.Google Scholar
- (Delgado et.al. 2000)
- (De Luca and Termini 1972).
- (Martin-Bautista,2000) Martin-Bautista, M.J., Vila, M.A., Larsen, H.L and Sanchez, D. “Fuzzy Genes: Improving Effectiveness of Information Retrieval”. In Proc. of the IEEE Conference on Evolutionary Computation,San Diego, California. (To appear).Google Scholar
- Salton and McGill, 1983) Salton, G. and McGill, M.J. Introduction to Modern Information Retrieval. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- (Sanchez 1999).Sanchez, D. Adquisicidn de relaciones entre atributos en bases de datos relacionales. Ph. D. Thesis, Dept. of Computer Science and A.I., University of Granada, 1999.Google Scholar
- (Sanchez and Pierre, 1994).(Sanchez and Pierre, 1994) Sanchez, E. and Pierre, P. “Fuzzy Logic and Genetic Algorithms in Information Retrieval”. In Proc. of the Third International Conference on Fuzzy Logic, Neural Nets and Soft Computing,pp. 29–35, Iizuka, Japan.Google Scholar
- Zadeh, 1975) Zadeh, L.A. “The concept of a linguistic variable and its application toGoogle Scholar
- approximate reasoning I, II and III“. Information Sciences, 8,pp. 199–251, 301–357; 9, 43–80.Google Scholar
- (Zadeh 1983).