Learning Fuzzy Classification Rules from Data
Automatic design of fuzzy rule-based classification systems based on labeled data is considered. It is recognized that both classification performance and interpretability are of major importance and effort is made to keep the resulting rule bases small and comprehensible. An iterative approach for developing fuzzy classifiers is proposed. The initial model is derived from the data and subsequently, feature selection and rule base simplification are applied to reduce the model, and a GA is used for model tuning. An application to the Wine data classification problem is shown.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Membership Function Feature Selection Rule Base Feature Ranking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Corcoran A.L., Sen S. (1994) Using real-valued genetic algorithms to evolve rule sets for classification. In IEEE-CEC, June 27–29, 120–124, Orlando, USA.Google Scholar
- 4.Gustafson, D.E., Kessel, W.C. (1979) Fuzzy clustering with a fuzzy covariance matrix, In Proc. IEEE CDC, 761–766, San Diego, USA.Google Scholar
- 5.Ishibuchi H., Nakashima T., Murata T. (1999) Performance evaluation of fuzzy classifier systems for multidimensional pattern classification problems. IEEE Trans. SMC—B 29, 601–618.Google Scholar
- 7.Roubos J.A., Setnes M. (2000) Compact fuzzy models through complexity reduction and evolutionary optimization. In FUZZ-IEEE, 762–767, May 7–10, San Antonio, USA.Google Scholar
- 9.Setnes M., Babuska R. (1999) Fuzzy relational classifier trained by fuzzy clustering, IEEE Trans. SMC—B 29, 619–625Google Scholar
- 10.Setnes M., Babuska R., Kaymak U., van Nauta Lemke H.R. (1998) Similarity measures in fuzzy rule base simplification. IEEE Trans. SMC—B 28, 376–386.Google Scholar
- 11.Setnes M., Roubos J.A. (1999) Transparent fuzzy modeling using fuzzy clustering and GA’s. In NAFIPS, June 10–12, 198–202, New York, USA.Google Scholar
- 12.Setnes M., Roubos J.A. (in press, 2000) GA-fuzzy modeling and classification: complexity and performance. IEEE Trans. FS.Google Scholar
- 13.Valente de Oliveira J. (1999) Semantic constraints for membership function optimization. IEEE Trans. FS 19, 128–138.Google Scholar