Fuzzy Quality Control of a TMP Plant
The control of thermomechanical pulping (TMP) refiners has been extensively studied during the past two decades. However, only a small number of TMP refiners have closed-loop quality control (Sui et al. 1998). The basic reason for this situation is the complexity of the refining process. The quality control has to cope with two different kinds of disturbances: slowly proceeding wearing of refiner plates and faster variations in raw material quality (Leiviskä et al. 1993). Information about the pulp quality is usually obtained from laboratory testing of pulp or finished paper samples. Typically, this information is a few hours old and therefore of no use for real-time control. Also, delays in on-line freeness and fibre length measurements have limited the use of automatic on-line quality control.
KeywordsFibre Length Fuzzy Controller Specific Energy Consumption Mechanical Pulp Plate Position
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kooi, S. B. L. (1994): Adaptive inferential control of wood chip refiner. Tappi Journal 77 (11): 185–189Google Scholar
- Leiviskä, K., (ed.) (1999): Process Control. Papermaking Science and Technology, Book 14. Fapet Oy, Jyväskylä, FinlandGoogle Scholar
- Leiviskä, K., Sutinen, R., Saarinen, K. (1993): Optimal Quality Control TMP-plants. In: 18th International Mechanical Pulping Conference, Proceedings. EUCEPA, Oslo, pp. 245–251Google Scholar
- Myllyneva, J., Kortelainen, J., Sutinen, R., Leiviskä K. (1999): Fuzzy Quality Control of TMP Refiner Line. In: 6th International Conference on New Available Technologies. SPCI. Stockholm. pp. 280–283Google Scholar
- Sui O. S., Sanche, L., Mills, C., Smith, W., Smith, G., Douglas, T. (1998): Model based pulp quality control of TMP refiner. In: Pulping Conference Proceedings. Tappi Press, Atlanta, FL Book 1, pp 295–308Google Scholar
- Sutinen, R.A. (1999): Optimized TMP-plant control. In: Advanced Technology from Finland for the Forest Industry. Finnpro, MontrealGoogle Scholar
- Sutinen, R.A., Joensuu, I. (1996): Experiences of TMP refiner control based on an in-line consistency measurement. In: 50th Appita Annual General Conference. Appita, Carlton, Victoria, AustraliaGoogle Scholar