Controlling Effective Introns for Multi-Agent Learning by Means of Genetic Programming
This paper presents the emergence of the cooperative behavior for multiple agents by means of Genetic Programming (GP). For the purpose of evolving the effective cooperative behavior, we propose a controlling strategy of introns, which are non-executed code segments dependent upon the situation. The traditional approach to removing introns was able to cope with only a part of syntactically defined introns, which excluded other frequent types of introns. The validness of our approach is discussed with comparative experiments with robot simulation tasks, i.e., a navigation problem and an escape problem.
KeywordsGenetic Programming Robot Navigation Real Robot Code Segment Robot Task
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [EC98]Special Issue: Variable-Length Representation and Noncoding Segments for Evolutionary Algorithms, Evolutionary Computation, vol.6, no.4, MIT Press, 1998Google Scholar
- [Angeline98]Angeline,P.J., Subtree Crossover Causes Bloat in Proc. of Genetic Programming Conference 1998 (GP98), 1998Google Scholar
- [Banzhaf et aí.98]Banzhaf,W., Nordin,P., Keller,R.E., and Francone,F.D., Genetic Programming, An Introduction, Morgan Kaufmann, 1998Google Scholar
- [Hara et aí.99]Hara,A., and Nagao,T., Emergence of Cooperative Behavior using ADG; Automatically Defined Groups, in Proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO99), Morgan Kaufmann, 1999Google Scholar
- [Haynes et aí.95]Haynes, T., Wainwright,R., and Sen,S., Evolving a Team, in Working Notes of the AAAI-95 Fall Symposium on Genetic Programming, AAAI Press, 1995Google Scholar
- [Iba96]Iba,H., Emergent Cooperation for Multiple Agents using Genetic Programming, in Parallel Problem Solving form Nature IV (PPSN96), 1996Google Scholar
- [Iba98]Iba,H., Evolutionary Learning of Communicating Agents, Information Sciences, 108 (1–4), 1998Google Scholar
- [Ito et a1.96]Ito,T., Iba,H. and Kimura,M., Robot Programs Generated by Genetic Programming, Japan Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, IS-RR-9600011, in Genetic Programming 96, 1996Google Scholar
- [Koza 92]Koza, J., Genetic Programming, On the Programming of Computers by means of Natural Selection, MIT Press, 1992Google Scholar
- [Luke et a1.96]Luke,S. and Spector,L., Evolving Teamwork and Coordination with Genetic Programming, in Genetic Programming 96, MIT Press, 1996Google Scholar
- [Smith et a1.96]Smith,P.W.H, and Harries,K., Code Growth, Explicitly Defined Introns, and Alternative Selection Schemes, in Evolutionary Computation, vol.6, no,4, MIT Press, 1999Google Scholar
- [Soule et al.96]Soule,T., Foster,J.A., and Dickinson,J., Code Growth in Genetic Programming, in Genetic Programming 96, 1996Google Scholar