Identification of Rules for Brain Metastases and Survival Time Prediction for Small Cell Lung Cancer Patients
This paper presents experiments with the application of rough set-based data mining methodology to discover predictive rules in small cell lung cancer patient data. The specific prediction targets are the occurrence of the spread of cancer to the brain and the prediction of patient survival time. The obtained results have been derived from patient data supplied by cancer researchers from the Allan Blair Cancer Center, Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada who also provided all the necessary background information and conducted medical evaluation of the results.
KeywordsBrain Metastasis Small Cell Lung Cancer Decision Table Biological Effective Dose Prophylactic Cranial Irradiation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Grzymala-Busse, J. Goodwin L. (1997) Predicting Preterm Birth Risk Using Machine Learning from Data with Missing Values, Bulletin of International Rough Set Society, Vol. 1, No. 1, 17–21.Google Scholar
- 3.Cheshenchuk, S. Ziarko, W. (1999) Mining Patient Data for Predictive Rules to Determine Maturity Status of Newborn Children, Bulletin of International Rough Set Society, Vol. 3, No 1–2, 23–26.Google Scholar
- 4.Slowinski, K. Sharif E. (1994) Rough Sets Approach to Analysis of Data of Diagnostic Peritoneal Lavage Applied for Multiple Injuries Patients. In Ziarko, W. ed. Rough Sets, Fuzzy Sets and Knowledge Discover,Springer Verlag, 420–425.Google Scholar
- 5.Slowinski, K. (1992) Rough Classification of HSV Patients. In Slowinski, R. ed. Intelligent Decision Support,Kluwer Academic Publishers, 77–94.Google Scholar
- 6.Grace I. Paterson (1994) Rough Classification of Pneumonia Patients Using a Clinical Database. In Ziarko, W. ed. Rough Sets, Fuzzy Sets and Knowledge Discover,Springer Verlag, 412–419.Google Scholar
- 7.Tsumoto, S. (1999) Discovery of rules about complications. In Proc. of the 7th International Workshop on Rough Sets, Fuzzy Sets, Data Mining and Granular-Soft Computing, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence 1711,Springer—Verlag, 29–37.Google Scholar
- 8.Tsumoto, S. (1998) Extraction of expert’s decision rules from clinical databases using rough set model,J. Intelligent data Analysis 2(3).Google Scholar
- 10.Tsumoto, S. Ziarko, W. (1996) The application of rough sets-based data mining technique to differential diagnosis of meningoencephaliti. Proc. of the Int. Conference on Methodologies for Intelligent Systems, Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence, vol. 1079,Springer Verlag, 438–447.Google Scholar
- 12.Rosen S. T., Makuch R. W., Lichter A. S., et al. (1983) Role of prophylactic cranial irradiation in prevention of central nervous system metastases in small cell lung cancer. Potential benefit resyticted to patients with complete response, Am. J. Med 74: 615–624.Google Scholar