Customer Relationship Management Systems: The Application of Fuzzy ART Neural Network
An essential element of e-commerce customer relationship management (eCCRM) systems is the analytical subsystem, or model base for analyzing customer-related data. We present a neural network-based application for this data mining function for effective customer relationship management. We first list the various objectives of CRM, the essential elements and the requisite e-business architectures. Then we propose, and illustrate the application of Fuzzy ART neural network for customer grouping and buying pattern recognition, based on customer’s purchasing history. Step-by-step procedures for implementing the algorithm, and contextual framework for real-world CRM system are presented.
KeywordsCustomer Relationship Management Electronic Commerce Direct Marketing Adaptive Resonance Theory Sale Forecast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Hagel, J. III and A. Armstrong. Net Gain: Expanding Markets through Virtual Communities, Boston, Harvard Business School Press, 1997.Google Scholar
- 7.Hagel, J. III and J. F. Rayport. The coming battle for customer information. Harvard Business Review, 75 (1): 53–65, 1997.Google Scholar
- 8.Kalakota, R., and Robinson, M., 1999, e-Business: Roadmap for Success, Addison Wesley.Google Scholar
- 9.Kohonen, T., 1984, Self-Organisation and Associative Memory, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar
- 10.Kotler, P. Marketing Management. Englewood Cliff, NJ, Prentice-Hall, Inc., 1991.Google Scholar
- 11.Lippmann RP. An Introduction to Computing with Neural Networks. IEEE ASSP Magazine, 4–22, 1987.Google Scholar
- 12.Peacock, P. R. “Data Mining in Marketing: Part 1”, Marketing Management, 6 (4), 8–18 Winter 1998.Google Scholar
- 14.Spangler, W. E., J. H. May, et al. Choosing data-mining methods for multiple classification: Representation and performance measurement implications for decision support. Journal of Management Information Systems, 16 (1): 37–62, 1999.Google Scholar
- 15.Suresh, N.C., “Neural Network Applications for Group Technology in Design and Manufacturing”, Handbook of Computational Intelligence for Design and Manufacturing, (Eds. J. Wang and A. Kusiak ), CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2000.Google Scholar
- 18.Venugopal, V. and W. Baets. Neural networks & their applications in marketing management. Journal of Systems Management, 45 (9): 16–21, 1994.Google Scholar
- 19.Werbos, P. Backpropagation: Past and future. The IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, IEEE Press, 1988.Google Scholar