The Ratio Between the Toeplitz and the Unstructured Condition Number
Recently it was shown that the ratio between the normwise Toeplitz structured condition number of a linear system and the general unstructured condition number has a finite lower bound. However, the bound was not explicit, and nothing was known about the quality of the bound. In this note we derive an explicit lower bound only depending on the dimension n, and we show that this bound is almost sharp for all n.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)15A12 26D05
KeywordsStructured condition number Toeplitz matrix Mahler measure polynomial norms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Berz. From Taylor series to Taylor models. In Nonlinear problems in accelerator physics, AIP Conference proceedings, number CP405, pages 1–27, 1997.Google Scholar
- S. Dallwig, A. Neumaier, and H. Schichl. GLOPT — a program for constrained global optimization. In I.M. Bomze et al., editor, Developments in global optimization, pages 19–36. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1997.Google Scholar
- E. Kaltofen, L. Bin, Y. Zhengfeng, and Z. Lihong. Exact certification in global polynomial optimization via sums-of-squares of rational functions with rational coefficients. submitted for publication, 2009.Google Scholar
- H. Kneser. Das Maximum des Produkts zweier Polynome. In Sitz. Preuss. Akad. Wiss., Phys.-Math. Kl., pages 426–431, 1934.Google Scholar
- S.M. Rump. A Model Problem for Global optimization. submitted for publication, 2009.Google Scholar
- T. Sheil-Small. Complex polynomials, volume 75 of Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics. Cambridge University Press, 2002.Google Scholar