QR-factorization of Displacement Structured Matrices Using a Rank Structured Matrix Approach
A general scheme is proposed for computing the QR-factorization of certain displacement structured matrices, including Cauchy-like, Vandermonde- like, Toeplitz-like and Hankel-like matrices, hereby extending some earlier work for the QR-factorization of the Cauchy matrix. The algorithm employs a chasing scheme for the recursive construction of a diagonal plus semiseparable matrix of semiseparability rank r, where r is equal to the given displacement rank. The complexity is O(r 2 n 2 ) operations in the general case, and O(rn 2 ) operations in the Toeplitz- and Hankel-like case, where n denotes the matrix size. Numerical experiments are provided.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)65F18 15A23 15A03
KeywordsDisplacement structures QR-factorization lower semiseparable plus diagonal matrices chasing procedure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S. Delvaux, L. Gemignani, and M. Van Barel. Fast QR-factorization of Cauchy-like matrices. Linear algebra and its Applications, 428, 2008.Google Scholar
- S. Delvaux and M. Van Barel. A QR-based solver for rank structured matrices. SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and its Applications, 2008. To appear.Google Scholar
- L. Gemignani, D.A. Bini, Y. Eidelman, and I.C. Gohberg. Fast QR eigenvalue algorithms for Hessenberg matrices which are rank-one perturbations of unitary matrices. SIAM Journal on Matrix Analysis and its Applications, 29, 2007.Google Scholar
- V.Y. Pan. Structured matrices and polynomials. Birkhäuser Springer, 2001.Google Scholar
- C.F. Van Loan. Computational Frameworks for the Fast Fourier Transform. Frontiers in Applied Mathematics. SIAM, 1992.Google Scholar