Advertisement

II: Through the Western Part of the City: Charlottenburg

  • Dieter Hoffmann

Abstract

Until 1920 the city we now call Berlin was a collection of independent towns and villages — among them Charlottenburg, which was one of the most important and was the proud sister of Berlin, Prussia’s and Germany’s capital, where the wealthy and innovative bourgeoisie lived. Werner von Siemens, Germany’s pioneer in the modern electrical industry, was a prime example of that elite. His castle-like villa was located not far from today’s Ernst-Reuter-Platz at Otto-Suhr-Allee 10–16, and important parts of his enterprise expanded into the “meadows outside of Charlottenburg” during the second half of the 19th century. It was no accident that the efforts to unite Berlin’s two colleges for trade and construction (both founded around 1800) led to the foundation of a modern Technical College in Charlottenburg in 1879, today’s Technical University of Berlin. Its magnificent main building (figure 1), which was opened in 1882 by the German Emperor, was an expression of the great self-confidence of this new institution of higher learning and of Charlottenburg’s bourgeoisie. Although large parts of the building were destroyed by bombs during World War II, you can still get an impression of its monumentality from what survived at number 135 Strasse des 17. Juni.

Keywords

Kaiser Wilhelm Institute Wine Cellar Peter Debye Lead Research Center Chair Holder 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.

Preview

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

References

  1. 1.
    Jost Lemmerich, Zur Geschichte der Physik an der Technischen Hochschule Berlin-Charlottenburg, 2. erweiterte Auflage (Berlin: D. A. V. I. D. Verlagsgesellschaft, 1987).Google Scholar
  2. 2.
    Eugen Wigner, Gruppentheorie und ihre Anwendung auf die Quantenmechanik der Atomspektren (Braunschweig: Vieweg, 1931).MATHGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    David Cahan, An Institute for an Empire: The Physikalisch-Technische Reichsanstalt 1871-1918 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1989).Google Scholar
  4. 4.
    Hans Kangro, History of Planck’s Radiation Law (London: Taylor & Francis, 1976).Google Scholar
  5. 5.
    Hoffmann, “Physics in Berlin” (ref. 2), pp. 452–453.Google Scholar
  6. 6.
    Fritz Haber, “Letter of Resignation to the Prussian Minister of Sciences, Arts and Culture Rust [April 30, 1933],” in Klaus Hentschel, ed., Physics and National Socialism: An Anthology of Primary Sources (Basel: Birkhäuser Verlag, 1996), p. 45.Google Scholar
  7. 7.
    A valuable guide is E. Henning and M. Kazemi, Dahlem — Domain of Science: A Walking Tour of the Berlin Institutes of the Kaiser Wilhelm/Max Planck Society in the “German Oxford,” Max-Planck-Gesellschaft Berichte und Mitteilungen, Nr. 1 (Berlin: Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, 1998).Google Scholar
  8. 8.
    E. Henning, Das Harnack-Haus in Berlin-Dahlem, Max-Planck-Gesellschaft Berichte und Mitteilungen, Nr. 2 (Berlin: Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, 1996).Google Scholar
  9. 9.
    G. Castagnetti and H. Goenner, Directing a Kaiser Wilhelm Institute: Einstein, Organizer of Science? Preprint 63 (Berlin: Max-Planck-Institut für Wissenschaftsgeschichte, 1997), pp. 55–80.Google Scholar
  10. 10.
    Kristie Macrakis, “The Rockefeller Foundation and German Physics under National Socialism,” Minerva 27 (1989), 33–57.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
  11. 11.
    D. Hoffmann, “Peter Debye — ein typischer Wissenschaftler in untypischer Zeit,” Gewina 29 (2006), 141–168.Google Scholar
  12. 12.
    Mark Walker, German National Socialism and the quest for nuclear power 1939-1949 (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1989).Google Scholar
  13. 13.
    R. Karlsch, Hitlers Bombe (München: Deutsche Verlags-Anstalt, 2005).Google Scholar
  14. 14.
    Chr. Wegeleben, Beständeübersicht des Archivs zur Geschichte der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft in Berlin-Dahlem, Veröffentlichungen aus dem Archiv zur Geschichte der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, Band 9 (Berlin: Archiv zur Geschichte der Max-Planck-Gesellschaft, 1997).Google Scholar
  15. 15.
    J. F. Tent, The Free University of Berlin (Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1988).Google Scholar
  16. 16.
    Klaus Hentschel, The Einstein Tower: An Intertexture of Dynamic Construction, Relativity Theory, and Astronomy (Stanford: Stanford University Press, 1997).MATHGoogle Scholar
  17. 17.
    Michael Gruning, Ein Haus für Albert Einstein (Berlin: Verlag der Nation, 1990).Google Scholar

Copyright information

© Birkhäuser Verlag AG 2009

Authors and Affiliations

  • Dieter Hoffmann
    • 1
  1. 1.Max Planck Institute for the History of ScienceBerlinGermany

Personalised recommendations