IL-17 cytokines in asthma
The current chapter scrutinizes the published evidence from humans that IL-17, as well as more recently discovered members of the IL-17 cytokine family, may be involved in the pathogenesis of asthma by contributing to the mobilization of granulocytes. Whereas there is indicative published evidence from patients with asthma arguing for IL-17 and, to lesser degree, for IL-17F, involvement, the current case for the other IL-17 cytokines remains weak in terms of clinical evidence. For the future, there is a need for more studies on human patients with well-characterized phenotypes and consistent medication, to more firmly establish the pathogenic role of IL-17 cytokines in asthma and the pharmacotherapeutic potential of targeting these intriguing molecules.
KeywordsSevere Asthma Allergy Clin Immunol Allergic Asthma Exhale Breath Condensate Human Bronchial Epithelial Cell
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Laan M, Cui ZH, Hoshino H, Lötvall J, Sjöstrand M, Gruenert D, Skoogh BE, Lindén A (1999) Neutrophil recruitment by human IL-17 via C-X-C chemokine release in the airways. J Immunol 2: 2347–2352Google Scholar
- 7.Sun YC, Zhou QT, Yao WZ (2000) Sputum interleikin-17 is increased and associated with airway neutrophilia in patients with severe asthma. Chin Med J 118: 953–956Google Scholar
- 9.Matsunaga K, Yanagisawa S, Ichikawa T, Ueshima K, Akamatsu K, Hirano T, Nakanishi M, Yamagata T, Minaikata Y, Ichinose M (2006) Airway cytokine expression measured by means of protein array in exhaled breath condensate: Correlation with physiologic properties in asthmatic patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol 118: 84–90PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Chakir J, Shannon J, Molet S, Fukakusa M, Elias J, Laviolette M, Boulet LP, Hamid Q (2003) Airway remodeling-associated mediators in moderate to severe asthma: Effect of steroids on TGF-beta, IL-11, IL-17, and type I and type III collagen expression. J Allergy Clin Immunol 111: 1293–1298PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 34.Lindén A (2007) A role for the cytoplasmic adaptor protein Act1 in mediating IL-17 signaling. Science Signal Transduction Knowledge Environment 398: re4Google Scholar