Drug candidates for the treatment of viral hepatitis
While progress has been made in treating viral hepatitis some problems are not adequately addressed with current therapies. This includes the challenge of treating both chronic as well as fulminant infections. This chapter provides an overview about current activities in the development of novel therapies for viral hepatitis. The activities in this area are very competitive and dynamic and, therefore, the list of projects and compounds might not be complete or reflect the very latest status of certain projects. However, it is clear that the medical need is being addressed and that novel approaches can be expected that might hopefully strengthen the antiviral armamentarium in the future.
KeywordsViral Hepatitis Interferon Alpha Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome ADEFOVIR DIPIVOXIL Interferon Alfa
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zeuzem S, Benhamou Y, Bain VG, Shouval D, Piankos S, Flisiak R, Grigeresen M, Rehak V, Yoshida E, Kaita et al (2007) Antiviral response at week 12 following completion of treatment with albinterferon alfa-2b plus ribavirin in genotype 1, IFN-naïve, chronic hepatitis patients. 42nd Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL). Oral presentation. 14 April 2007Google Scholar
- 3.Bain VG, Maretta P, Kaita K, Yoshida E, Swain M, Bailey R, Neumann A, Grain P, McHutchinson J, Pulkstenis E, Subramanian M et al (2007) Comparable antiviral response rates with albinterferon alfa-2b dosed at Q2W or Q4W intervals in naïve subjects with genotypes 2 or 3 chronic hepatitis C. 42nd Annual Meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL). Oral presentation. 12 April 2007Google Scholar
- 4.Fiscella M, Balan V, Nelson D, Corey A (2006) Favorable pharmacokinetic of albumin interferon alfa-2b in subjects with chronic hepatitis C. 57th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. 31 October 2006. Poster presentation #1140Google Scholar
- 5.Bain VG, Kaita KD, Yoshida EM, Swain MG, Heathcote EJ, Neumann AU, Fiscella M, Yu R, Osborn BL, Cronin PW et al (2006) A Phase 2 study to evaluate the antiviral activity, safety, and pharmacokinetics of recombinant human albumin-interferon alfa fusion protein in genotype 1 chronic hepatitis patients. J Hepatol 44: 671–678PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Balan V, Nelson DR, Sulkowski MS, Everson GT, Lambiase LR, Wiegner RH, Dickson RC, Post AB, Redfield RR, Davis GL, Neumann AU et al (2006) A Phase 1/2 study evaluating escalating doses of recombinant human albumin-interferon alpha fusion protein in chronic hepatitis patients who have failed previous interferon-alpha-based therapy. Antivir Ther 11: 35–45PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Depraetere S, Leroux-Roels G (1999) Hepatitis virus envelope proteins: immunogenieity in humans and their role in diagnosis and vaccine development. Viral, Hepat Rev 5: 113–146Google Scholar
- 19.Kaita (2007) Phase II study of Celgosivir in combination with peginterferon alfa-2b and ribavirin in chronic hepatitis genotype-1 non-responder patients presentation at the Digestive Disease Week, 197#x2013;24 May 2007-Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- 20.Mealy NE, Lupone B, Tell M (2007) Drugs under development for the treatment of hepatitis. Drugs Fut 32: 191–200Google Scholar
- 23.Flisiak R, Horban A, Kierkus J, Stanczak J, Cielniak I, Stanczak GP, Wiercinska-Drapalo A, Siwak E, Higersberger J, Aeschlimann et al (2006) The cyclophilin inhibitor DEBIO-025 has a potent dual anti-HIV and anti-HCV activity in treatment-naïve HIV/HCV co-infected subjects American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) Boston, 2–31 October 2006Google Scholar
- 28.Stuyver LI, McBrayer TR, Thranish PM, Clark J, Hollecker L, Lostia S, Nachman T, Grier J, Bennett MA, Xie M-Y et al (2006) Inhibition of hepatills replicon RNA synthesis by ß-D-2’-deoxy-2’-fluoro-2’-methylcytidine: A specific inhibitor of hepatitis virus replication. Antiviral Chemistry and Chemotherapy 17: 79–87PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Murakami E, Bao H, Ramesh M, McBrayer TR, Whitaker T, Micolochick Steuer HM, Schinazi RF, Stuyver LJ, Obikhod A, Otto MJ et al (2007) Mechanism of activation of Beta-D-2’-deoxy-2’-fluoro-2’-C-methylcytidine and inhibition of hepatitis virus NS5B RNA polymerase. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 51(2): 503–509PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 47.Firbas Ch, Jilma B, Tauber E, Buerger V, Jelovcan S, Lingnau K, Buschle M, Frisch J, Klade Ch (2006) Immunogenicity and safety of a novel therapeutic hepatitis virus (HCV) peptide vaccine: a randomized, placebo controlled trial for dose optimization in 128 healthy subjects. Vaccine 24: 4343–4353PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar