Halophyte utilization for biodiversity and productivity of degraded pasture restoration in arid regions of Central Asia and Russia

  • Nariman Shamsutdinov
  • Zebri Shamsutdinov
Conference paper


Approximately 15% of the territories of the former USSR are arid lands that are mostly situated in the republics of Central Asia and in the south of the Russian Federation. In the agricultural lands of the Central Asian region the portion of irrigated lands is no more than 4%. The remaining 96% are non-irrigated lands of largely forage pastures (over 300 million ha) in deserts, semi-deserts and dry steppes.


Perennial Grass Natural Pasture Pasture Ecosystem Agricultural Animal Central Asian Region 
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.


Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.

Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.


  1. 1.
    Zvolinky VP, Zonn IS, Trofimov IA, Shamsutdinov ZSh (1998) The lands and agro-climatic resources of Russian arid territories. PAIM, MoscowGoogle Scholar
  2. 2.
    Shamsutdinov ZSh, Savchenko IV, Shamsutdinov NZ (2001) Halophytes of Russia, their environmental assessment and utilization. Edel-M, MoscowGoogle Scholar
  3. 3.
    Valter G. (1975) Vegetation on the earth. Environmental-physiological description, vol. 2. Mir, MoscowGoogle Scholar
  4. 4.
    Zalensky OV (1977) Environmental-physiological aspects of photosynthesis studies. Nauka, LeningradGoogle Scholar
  5. 5.
    Balnokin YuV (1986) Ion homeostasis of halotolerant algae. Author’s abstract of biology doctor dissertation. Moscow: 51Google Scholar
  6. 6.
    Richter AA (1927) Physiological foundations of resistance of southeastern plants. To the issue of salt resistance. J Trial Agron Southeast 3: 16Google Scholar
  7. 7.
    Genkel PM, Shakhov AA (1945) Environmental significance of a water regime of some halophytes. Bot J 30: 154–166Google Scholar
  8. 8.
    Larin IV, Beguchev PP, Rabotnov TA, Leont’eva IP (1975) Meadow cultivation and pasture farming. Kolos, LeningradGoogle Scholar
  9. 9.
    Pokaninov LB (1994) Organization of the pasture conveyor for sheep in dry steppe conditions of Kalmykia.The abstract of the candidate thesis for biological sciences.TSChA, MoscowGoogle Scholar
  10. 10.
    Shamsutdinov ZS (1995) Word experience of biological melioration and prospective of their utilization in sustainable development of pasture farming in West Caspian region. In: SI Zonn (ed): Biota and environment in Kalmykia. Korkis, Moscow, 106–157Google Scholar
  11. 11.
    Shamsutdinov ZS (2000) Modern strategy of rational strategy of pasture farming in arid districts of Russia. In: VA Tyulydyukov (ed): Development of scientific ideas of academician N. T. Andreev. TSChA, Moscow, 76–95Google Scholar
  12. 12.
    Shamsutdinov ZS, Nazaryk LA, Ionis YI, Chamidov AA, Kozlov NN, Pilipko SV, Shamsut-dinova EZ, Zvolinsky VP, Muchortov VI, Tsagan-Mandziev NL et al (2000) The methodical indicating for mobilization of vegetative resources and introduction of fodder plants. Rosse-lychozacademiya, MoscowGoogle Scholar
  13. 13.
    Lachko OA, Tsagan-Mandjiev NL (1986) Typical technology of pasture creation and sands fixation in North-West Caspian region.Dzangar, ElistaGoogle Scholar

Copyright information

© Birkhäuser Verlag/Switzerland 2008

Authors and Affiliations

  • Nariman Shamsutdinov
    • 1
  • Zebri Shamsutdinov
    • 2
  1. 1.All-Russian Res. Institute of Hydraulic Eng. & Land ReclamationMoscowRussia
  2. 2.All-Russian Fodder Research InstituteLobnya, MoscowRussia

Personalised recommendations