Shape and Conley Index of Attractors and Isolated Invariant Sets
This article is an exposition of several results concerning the theory of continuous dynamical systems, in which Topology plays a key role. We study homological and homotopical properties of attractors and isolated invariant compacta as well as properties of their unstable manifolds endowed with the intrinsic topology. We also provide a dynamical framework to express properties which are studied in Topology under the name of Hopf duality. Finally we see how the use of the intrinsic topology makes it possible to calculate the Conley-Zehnder equations of a Morse decomposition of an isolated invariant compactum, provided we have enough information about its unstable manifold.
KeywordsUnstable Manifold Global Attractor Conley Index Morse Decomposition Compact Global Attractor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- N.P. Bhatia and G.P. Szegö, Stability theory of dynamical systems. Grundlehren der Mat. Wiss. 161, Springer-Verlag, Berlin-Heidelberg-New York, 1970.Google Scholar
- K. Borsuk, Theory of Retracts. Monografie Matematyczne, Warsaw, 1967Google Scholar
- K. Borsuk, Theory of shape. Monografie Matematyczne, Tom 59, [Mathematical Monographs, Vol. 59], PWN-Polish Scientific Publishers, Warsaw, 1975.Google Scholar
- C. Conley, Isolated invariant sets and the Morse index. CBMS Regional Conference Series in Mathematics, 38, American Mathematical Society, Providence, R. I., 1978.Google Scholar
- J. Dydak and J. Segal, Shape theory. An introduction. Lecture Notes in Mathematics 688, Springer, Berlin. 1978.Google Scholar
- A. Giraldo, R. Jiménez, M.A. Morón, F.R. Ruiz Del Portal, J.M.R. Sanjurjo, Pointed shape and global attractors for metrizable spaces. Preprint.Google Scholar
- S. T. Hu, Theory of Retracts. Detroit, 1965.Google Scholar
- S. Mardešić and J. Segal, Shape theory. The inverse system approach. North-Holland Mathematical Library 26, North Holland, Amsterdam-NewYork, 1982.Google Scholar
- J. J. Sánchez-Gabites, A description without index pairs of the intrinsic topology of the ustable manifold of a compact invariant set. Preprint.Google Scholar
- N. E. Stenrod and D. B. A. Epstein, Cohomology operations. Princeton University Press, Princeton 1962.Google Scholar