Results in f-algebras
We wrote a survey  on lattice ordered algebras five years ago. Why do we return to f-algebras once more? We hasten to say that there is only little overlap between the current paper and that previous survey.We have three purposes for the present paper. In our previous survey we remarked that one aspect that we did not discuss, while of some historical importance to the topic, is the theory of averaging operators. That theory has its roots in the nineteenth century and predates the rise of vector lattices. Positivity is a crucial tool in averaging, and positivity has been a fertile ground for the study of averaging-like operators. The fruits of positivity in averaging have recently (see ) started to appear in probability theory (to which averaging operators are close kin) and statistics. In the first section of our paper, we survey the literature for our selection of old theorems on averaging operators, at the same time providing some new perspectives and results as well.
KeywordsVector Lattice Riesz Space Weighted Composition Operator Lattice Homomorphism Maximal Ring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. Birkhoff, Moyennes des fonctions bornées, Colloque d’Algèbre et de Théorie des Nombres, pp. 143–153, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Paris, 1949.Google Scholar
- K. Boulabiar and G. Buskes, A note on bijective disjointness preserving operators, Positivity IV-theory and applications, pp. 29–33, Tech. Univ. Dresden, Dresden, 2006.Google Scholar
- M.L. Dubreil-Jacotin, Etude algébrique des transformations de Reynolds, Colloque d’alg`ebre supérieure, pp. 9–27, Bruxelles, 1956.Google Scholar
- J.J. Grobler, Bivariate and marginal function spaces. Positivity IV-theory and applications, pp. 63–71, Tech. Univ. Dresden, Dresden, 2006.Google Scholar
- E. de Jonge and A. van Rooij, Introduction to Riesz spaces, Mathematical Centre Tracts, No. 78, Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam, 1977.Google Scholar
- J. Kampé de Fériet, Sur un problème d’algèbre abstraite posé par la définition de la moyenne dans la théorie de la turbulence, Ann. Soc. Sci. Bruxelles Sér I. 63 (1949), 156–172.Google Scholar
- A. Neeb, Positive Reynolds Operators on C 0(X), Ph.D. Thesis, Darmstadt 1996.Google Scholar
- B. de Pagter, f-Algebras and Orthomorphisms, Ph.D. Thesis, Leiden, 1981.Google Scholar
- G.C. Rota, Reynolds operators, Proc. Sympos. Appl. Math. 16 (1963), 70–83.Google Scholar
- J. Sopka, On the characterization of Reynolds operators on the algebra of all continuous functions on a compact Hausdorff space, Ph.D. Thesis, Harvard-Cambridge, 1950.Google Scholar
- Walker, Russell C., The Stone-Čech compactification. Ergebnisse der Mathematik und ihrer Grenzgebiete, Band 83, Springer-Verlag, New York — Berlin, 1974.Google Scholar