Solution of the Conjugacy Problem and Malnormality of Subgroups in Certain Relative Small Cancellation Group Presentations
The three fundamental decision problems posed by Max Dehn in 1912 are the word problem, the conjugacy problem and the isomorphism problem. Let G be a group and let u and v be elements of G. The word problem asks for an algorithm for deciding whether u = v. The conjugacy problem asks about the existence of an element g ∈ G which conjugates u to v, i.e., v = g −1 ug. A solution of the conjugacy problem clearly contains a solution of the word problem. The isomorphism problem asks whether two group presentations define isomorphic groups. The word and conjugacy problems received much attention in the literature. For a summary of results concerning the conjugacy problem until 1987 see  and references therein.
KeywordsWord Problem Free Product Conjugacy Problem Simple Closed Curve Boundary Cycle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Bridson: Geodesics and Curvature in metric simplicial complexes pp. 373–463 in “Group Theory from a Geometrical Viewpoint”, edited by E. Ghys, A. Haefliger and A. Verjovsky, Word Scientific (1991).Google Scholar
- A.J. Duncan and J. Howie: One relator products and high powered relators p. 48–74 in “Geometric Group Theory” Vol. 1, edited by G.A. Niblo and M.A. Roller, London Mathematical Society Lecture Notes Series, No. 181 (1993).Google Scholar
- S. Gersten: Isoperimetric and isodiametric functions of finite presentations pp. 79–96 in Geometric Group Theory Vol. 1, edited by G.A. Niblo and M.A. Roller, London Mathematical Society Lecture Notes Series, No. 181 (1993).Google Scholar
- M. Gromov: Hyperbolic Groups, In “Essays in Group Theory”, S.M. Gersten Editor, Math. Sci. Res. Inst. Publ. vol. 8, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1987, 76–263.Google Scholar
- F. Grunewald: Solution of the Conjugacy Problem in certain arithmetic groups. Word Problems II, pp. 101–139, Studies in Logic and Foundation of Math, 95, North Holland, Amsterdam, 1980.Google Scholar
- G. Huck and S. Rosebrock: Cancellation diagrams with non-positive curvature in “Computational and Geometric Aspects of Modern Algebra”, Edited by M. Atkinson et al. LMSLNS No, 275, pp. 128–149, 2000.Google Scholar
- A. Juhász: On powered one-relator amalgamated free products, To appear in International Journal of Algebra and Computation.Google Scholar
- A. Juhász. On powered one-relator HNN-extensions of groups, To appear in Journal of Group Theory.Google Scholar
- I. Kapovich: A non-quasiconvexity embedding theorem for hyperbolic groups. Math. Proc. of the Cambridge Phil. Soc. Vol. 127, pp. 461–480.Google Scholar
- R.C. Lyndon P.E. Schupp: Combinatorial Group Theory, Springer 1977.Google Scholar