Minimal Intransigent Hypersurfaces
We give examples of hypersurfaces of degree d in P n(ℂ), whose singularities are not versally deformed by the family H d(n) of all hypersurfaces of degree d in P n(ℂ), and which are of minimal codimension with this property.
In the three cases (n, d) = (2, 6), (3, 4) and (5, 3), such hypersurfaces necessarily have one-parameter symmetry. We list the possibilities. The singularities of these hypersurfaces are not all simple, and they are simultaneously topologically versally deformed by H d(n).
In less degenerate cases the examples we give are hypersurfaces with only simple singularities. The failure of versality can be expected to show itself in the geometry of H d(n), either because the μ-constant stratum S containing the hypersurface is of codimension less than μ in H d(n), or because S is not smooth. We will see elsewhere that this is the case for the examples we consider here. In particular, the singularities of these hypersurfaces are not topologically versally deformed by H d(n).
KeywordsPolynomial Vector Generic Choice Simple Singularity Gorenstein Algebra Cusp Singularity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arnold, V.I., S.M. Gusein-Zade and A.N. Varchenko, Singularities of differentiable maps II, Monographs in Mathematics 83, Birkhäuser, 1985.Google Scholar
- Goryunov, V.V., Symmetric quartics with many nodes, pp. 147–161 in Singularities and curves, ed. V.I. Arnol’d, Advances in Soviet Mathematics 21, AMS, Providence, RI, 1994.Google Scholar
- du Plessis, A. A., Versality properties of projective hypersurfaces, this volume.Google Scholar
- du Plessis, A.A., and C.T.C. Wall, The geometry of topological stability, London Math. Soc. monographs new series 9, Oxford University Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- Segre, B., Esistenza e dimensione di sistemi continui di curve piane algebriche con dati caraterri, Atti. Acad. naz. Lincei Rend. (ser. 6) 10 (1929), 31–38.Google Scholar
- Severi, F., Vorlesung über algebraische Geometrie, Teubner, 1921, and Johnson, 1968.Google Scholar
- Teissier, B. The hunting of invariants in the geometry of discriminants, pp. 565–678 in Real and complex singularities, ed. P. Holm, Sijthoff & Noordhoff International Publishers, 1977.Google Scholar
- Wirthmüller, K., Universell topologisch triviale Deformationen, doctoral thesis, Universit ät Regensburg, 1979.Google Scholar
- Zariski, O., Algebraic Surfaces (2nd ed.), Springer Verlag, 1971.Google Scholar