Xanthophylls in Poultry Feeding
Since most consumers associate an intense colour of food with healthy animals and high food quality, xanthophylls are widely used as feed additives to generate products that meet consumers’ demands. An important large-scale application is in poultry farming, where xanthophylls are added to feed to give the golden colour of egg yolk that is so much appreciated. Now, with numerous new applications in human food, in the pharmaceutical industry, and in cosmetic products, there is an increasing demand for xanthophylls on the international market (Volume 5, Chapter 4).
KeywordsInfectious Bronchitis Virus Poultry Farming Feed Additive Poultry Feed Lutein Ester
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Grashorn. Pol. J. Food Nutr. Sci., 14, 15 (2005).Google Scholar
- G. Y. Bedecarrats and S. Leeson, J. Appl. Poultry Res., 15, 183 (2006).Google Scholar
- E. A. Koutsos, J. C. G. Lopez and K. C. Klasing, J. Nutr., 136, 1027 (2006).Google Scholar
- M. Rajan, http://www.bccresearch.com/editors/RGA-110R.html (2005).
- Regulation (EC) No 1831/2003 of the European Parliament and the Council of 22 September 2003 on additives for use in animal nutrition. Official Journal of the European Union, L268/29, 18.10.2003.Google Scholar
- Community Register of Feed Additives pursuant to Regulation (EC) No 1831/2003. (http://europa.eu.int/comm/food/food/animalnutrition/feedadditives/registeradditives_en.htm).
- List of the authorised additives in feedingstuffs published in application of Article 9t(b) of Council Directive 70/524/EEC concerning additives in feedingstuffs. Official Journal of the European Union, 2004/C 50/01.Google Scholar
- H.-P. Köst, (Ed.), CRC Handbook of Chromatography, Plant Pigments, Vol. I, CRC Press, Boca Raton, USA (1988).Google Scholar
- H. Hencken, Poultry Sci., 71, 711 (1992).Google Scholar
- Y. Goda, T. Nakanishi, S. Sakamoto, K. Sato, T. Maitani and T. Yamada, J. Food Hygien. Soc. Japan, 37, 20 (1996).Google Scholar
- P. B. Hamilton, F. I. Tirado and F. Garcia-Hernandez, Poultry Sci., 69, 462 (1990).Google Scholar
- D. E. Breithaupt, P. Weller and M. A. Grashorn, Poultry Sci., 82, 395 (2003).Google Scholar
- P. E. Bowen, S. M. Herbst-Espinosa, E. A. Hussain and M. Stacewicz-Sapuntzakis, J. Nutr., 132, 3668 (2002).Google Scholar
- L. S. Kaw, G. S. Keng, A. Xavier, I. Jesuadimai and H. M. Tan, U. S. Pat. Appl. Publ. USXXCO US 2006171995 A1 20060803 (2006)Google Scholar