Action Ward Identity and the Stückelberg-Petermann Renormalization Group
A fresh look at the renormalization group (in the sense of Stückelberg-Petermann) from the point of view of algebraic quantum field theory is given, and it is shown that a consistent definition of local algebras of observables and of interacting fields in renormalized perturbative quantum field theory can be given in terms of retarded products. The dependence on the Lagrangian enters this construction only through the classical action. This amounts to the commutativity of retarded products with derivatives, a property named Action Ward Identity by Stora.
KeywordsRenormalization Group Ward Identity Formal Power Series Local Functional Local Algebra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.N.N. Bogoliubov and D.V. Shirkov: Introduction to the Theory of Quantized Fields. Interscience, New York, 1959.Google Scholar
- 3.R. Brunetti, M. Dütsch and K. Fredenhagen: work in progress.Google Scholar
- 5.R. Brunetti, K. Fredenhagen and R. Verch: The generally covariant locality principle — A new paradigm for local quantum physics. Commun. Math. Phys. 237:31–68.Google Scholar
- 9.M. Dütsch and K. Fredenhagen: Causal perturbation theory in terms of retarded products, and a proof of the Action Ward Identity. To appear in Rev. Math. Phys. Google Scholar
- 17.S. Hollands and R.M. Wald: Conservation of the stress tensor in interacting quantum field theory in curved spacetimes. [arXiv gr-qc/0404074].Google Scholar
- 18.P. Marecki: Quantum Electrodynamics on background external fields. [arXiv hep-th/0312304].Google Scholar
- 20.G. Scharf: Finite Quantum Electrodynamics. The causal approach. Springer-Verlag, 2nd ed., 1995.Google Scholar
- 21.G. Scharf: Quantum Gauge Theories — A True Ghost Story. John Wiley and Sons, 2001.Google Scholar
- 22.O. Steinmann: Perturbation expansions in axiomatic field theory. Lecture Notes in Physics 11, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg New York, 1971.Google Scholar
- 23.G. Popineau and R. Stora: A pedagogical remark on the main theorem of perturbative renormalization theory. Unpublished preprint, 1982.Google Scholar
- 24.R. Stora: Pedagogical Experiments in Renormalized Perturbation Theory. Contribution to the conference Theory of Renormalization and Regularization, Hesselberg, Germany (2002). http://wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz.de/~scheck/Hessbg02.html and private communication.Google Scholar