Intestinal lipase inhibitors
Given that malabsorptive surgery is such an effective treatment for obesity, it is perhaps not surprising that attempts have been made to use drugs that inhibit the absorption of macronutrients to treat obesity. Acarbose, an inhibitor of carbohydrate absorption has been shown to have modest efficacy in the treatment of diabetes, but does not cause weight loss. Dietary fat is the most energy dense macronutrient, and blockade of absorption of fat is therefore a logical target for an anti-obesity drug. Orlistat, an inhibitor of pancreatic and intestinal lipases, was originally developed as a possible treatment for dyslipidaemia, but the focus switched to obesity once its ability to promote a negative energy balance was recognised.
KeywordsPancreatic Lipase Lipase Inhibitor Orlistat Group Intestinal Lipase Pancreatic Cholesterol Esterase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Guerciolini R (1997) Mode of action of orlistat. Int J Obesity 21: S12–S23Google Scholar
- 8.Orlistat Product Monograph 1 (1998) F-Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.Google Scholar
- 12.Drent ML, Larsson I, Williamolsson T, Quaade F, Czubayko F, Vonbergmann K, Strobel W, Sjostrom L, vanderVeen EA (1995) Orlistat (Ro-18-0647), A lipase inhibitor, in the treatment of human obesity — a multiple-dose study. Int J Obesity 19: 221–226Google Scholar
- 21.Davidson MH, Hauptman J, DiGirolamo M, Foreyt JP, Halsted CH, Heber D, Heimburger DC, Lucas CP, Robbins DC, Chung J et al. (1999) Weight control and risk factor reduction in obese subjects treated for 2 years with orlistat — A randomized controlled trial. JAMA 281: 235–242PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Davidson M (1997) A 2 year, US, randomized, controlled study of orlistat, a gastrointestinal lipase inhibitor, for obesity treatment. JAMA 96: 4119Google Scholar
- 26.Elfhag K, Finer N, Rossner S (2007) Who will lose weight on orlistat and sibutramine? Psychological correlates of success. Diabetes Obes Metab 26 (ePub ahead of print)Google Scholar
- 27.Tiikkainen M, Bergholm R, Rissanen A, Aro A, Salminen I, Tamminen M, Teramo K, Yki-Jarvinen H (2004) Effects of equal weight loss with orlistat and placebo on body fat and serum fatty acid composition and insulin resistance in obese women. Am J Clin Nutrition 79(1): 22–30Google Scholar
- 29.Broom I, Wilding J, Stott P, Myers N (2002) Randomised trial of the effect of orlistat on body weight and cardiovascular disease risk profile in obese patients: UK multimorbidity study. Int J Clin Practice 56(7): 494–499Google Scholar
- 31.Sharma AM, Golay A (2001) Effect of weight management with orlistat on blood pressure in obese patients with hypertension. Obesity Res 9: 189SGoogle Scholar