Collaborative Multimedia Applications and Platforms Integrated with Video-on-Demand
Collaborative multimedia applications and platforms integrated with video-on-demand are described. The integration platform is realized by association of a groupware server with a video-on-demand server using a Video Service Bridge. The platform enables application developers to develop collaborative multimedia application systems supporting video-on-demand functions, and provides both realtime and stored video naturally synchronized with audio to group users simultaneously. A collaborative automobile sales support system and a group hypermedia navigational system developed on the integrated platform are interesting examples showing the platform’s possibilities. Using these systems, group users can simultaneously share and operate video images retrieved from video servers.
KeywordsTime Stamp Video Packet User Terminal Cooperation Protocol Integrate System Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Sakata, K. Maeno, H. Fukuoka, and T. Ohmori, “Distributed multiparty desktop conferencing system: MERMAID,” Proc. Conf. on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, pp. 27 – 36 (1990).Google Scholar
- 2.K. Maeno, S. Sakata, T. Ohmori, K Watabe, and H. Fukuoka, “Distributed desktop conferencing system(MERMAID) based on group communication architecture,” Proc. Conf. on ICC’91 (1991).Google Scholar
- 3.S. Sakata, “Multimedia and multi-party desktop conference system (MERMAID) as a groupware platform,” Proc. IFIP Congress, pp. 63 - 68 (1994).Google Scholar
- 4.H. Schulzrinne, S. Casner, R. Frederick, V.Jacobson, “RTP: A transport protocol for real-time applications,” Internet Draft draft-ietf-avt-rtp-0.6.txt.Google Scholar
- 5.T. Ohmori, K.Maeno, S. Sakata, and H. Fukuoka, “Cooperative control for sharing applications based on multiparty and multimedia desktop conferencing system: MERMAID,” Proc. Conf. on ICC’92 (1992).Google Scholar
- 6.K.Maeno, A.Kurashima “Group cooperative work support system through the mobile and multimedia communications - mobile groupware,” Proc. on Telecom95 Technology Summit, Vol. 1 (1995).Google Scholar
- 7.Y.Hara, K.Hirata, H.Takano, and S.Kawasaki, “Hypermedia Navigation and Content-based Retrieval for Distributed Multimedia Databases,” The 6th NEC Research Symposium (1995).Google Scholar