Accurate Computation of the Radiosity Gradient for Constant and Linear Emitters
Controlling the error incurred in a radiosity calculation is one of the most challenging issues remaining in global illumination research. In this paper we propose a new method to compute the value and the gradient of the radiosity function at any point of a receiver, with arbitrary precision. The knowledge of the gradient provides fundamental informations on the radiosity function and its behaviour. It can specially be used to control the consistency of the discretisation assumptions.
KeywordsDiscretisation Error Global Illumination Arbitrary Precision Constant Emitter Null Divergence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Arvo, J., The Irradiance Jacobian for Partially Occluded Polyhedral Sources. SIGGRAPH (1994) 343 - 350Google Scholar
- 2.Arvo, J., Torrance, K.,Smits, B., A Framework for the Analysis of Error in Global Illumination Algorithms. SIGGRAPH (1994) 75–84Google Scholar
- 3.Bastos, R. M., de Sousa, A. A., Ferreira, F. N., Reconstruction of Illumination Functions using Bicubic Hermite Interpolation. Fourth Eurographics Workshop on Rendering (June 1993) 317–326Google Scholar
- 4.Drettakis, G., Fiume, E., Concrete Computation of Global Illumination Accurate and Consistent Reconstruction of Illumination Functions Using Structured Sampling. Computer Graphics Forum (Eurographics 1993 Conf. Issue) 273–284Google Scholar
- 5.Drettakis, G., Fiume, E., Concrete Computation of Global Illumination Using Structured Sampling. Third Eurographics Workshop on Rendering (May 1992) 189–201Google Scholar
- 6.Heckbert, P. S., Simulating Global Illumination Using Adaptative Meshing. PhD Thesis, University of California, Berkeley, June 1991.Google Scholar
- 8.Lischinski, D., Tampieri, F., Greenberg, D. P., Combining Hierarchical Radiosity and Disjcontinuity Meshing. SIGGRAPH (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.Lischinski, D., Smits, B., Greenberg, D. P., Bounds and Error Estimates for Radiosity. SIGGRAPH (1994) 67–74Google Scholar
- 10.Salesin, D., Lischinski, D., DeRose, T., Reconstructing Illumination Functions with Selected Discontinuities. Third Eurographics Workshop on Rendering (May 1992) 99–112Google Scholar
- 11.Vedel, C., Puech, C., Improved Storage and Reconstruction of Light Intensities on Surfaces. Third Eurographics Workshop on Rendering (May 1992) 113–121Google Scholar
- 12.Ward, G. J., Heckbert, PS., Irradiance Gradients. Third Eurographics Workshop on Rendering (May 1992) 85–98Google Scholar