Linear Radiosity with Error Estimation
We present a simple and inexpensive method for computing the estimates of error in a hierarchical linear radiosity method. Similar to the approach used in  for constant radiosity method, we compute lower and upper linear bounds of the actual radiosity function over the surface elements. We carry out this by computing linear upper and lower bounds of the kernel of the radiosity equation. Also we compute these bounds in a form which makes trivial the effort of projecting the integral equation involving such kernels. We provide the hierarchical algorithm for computing the radiosity bounds. We derive the expression for computing error-estimates from these bounds. Finally we propose a refinement indicator for carrying out the link refinement.
KeywordsIntegral Equation Kernel Function Surface Element Kernel Approximation Parametric Domain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dani Lischinski, Brian Smits, and Don Greenberg. Bounds and error estimates for radiosity. Computer Graphics (SIGGRAPH ’94 Proceedings), 28 (4): 67–74, July 1994.Google Scholar
- 2.Harold R. Zatz. Galerkin radiosity. Computer Graphics (Siggraph ’93 Proceedings), 27 (4): 213–220, 1993.Google Scholar
- 3.L. M. Delves and J. L. Mohamed. Computational Methods for Integral Equations. Cambridge University Press, 1985.Google Scholar
- 4.Cindy M. Goral, Kenneth E. Torrance, Donald P. Greenberg, and Bennett Bat- taile. Modelling the interaction of light between diffuse surfaces. Computer Graphics (Siggraph ’84 Proceedings)y 18 (3): 212–222, July 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.Nelson L. Max and Michael J. Allison. Linear radiosity approximation using vertex to vertex form-factors. In David Kirk, editor, Graphics Gems Illy Academic Press, Inc, Boston, 1992.Google Scholar
- 6.Paul Heckbert. Discontinuity meshing for radiosity. Third Eurographics Workshop on Rendering, 203–216, May 1992.Google Scholar
- 7.Steven Gortler, Peter Schroder, Michel F. Cohen, and Pat Hanrahan. Wavelet radiosity. Computer Graphics (Siggraph ’93 Proceedings), 27 (4): 221–230, 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.Roy Troutman and Nelson L. Max. Radiosity algorithms using higher order finite element methods. Computer Graphics (Siggraph ’93 Proceedings), 27 (4): 209–212, 1993.Google Scholar
- 9.William H. Press, Brian P. Flannery, Saul A. Teukolsky, and William T. Vetterling. Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing. Cambridge University Press, 1988.Google Scholar