On the Optimization of Projective Volume Rendering
How to render very complex datasets, and yet maintain interactive response times, is a hot topic in volume rendering. In this paper we focus on projective visualization of datasets represented via tetrahedral tessellations. Direct projective visualization is performed by sorting tetrahedra with respect to view direction and then by projecting them onto the screen. Different sorting algorithms and “per tetrahedra” projection techniques are reviewed and evaluated. A new method for tetrahedra projection approximation is presented. In addition, we compare the results obtained by the optimization of the rendering process with those obtained by adopting a data simplification approach.
KeywordsDelaunay Triangulation Adjacency Graph Volume Dataset Volume Visualization Topological Sort
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cignoni, P., Floriani, L. D., Montani, C., Puppo, E., Scopigno, R. Multiresolution Modeling and Rendering of Volume Data based on Simplicial Complexes. In: Proceedings of 1994 Symposium on Volume Visualization, pp. 19–26. ACM Press (1994).Google Scholar
- Gelder, A. V., Wilhelms, J. Rapid exploration of curvilinear grids using direct volume rendering. In: IEEE Visualization ‘83 Proceedings (Oct 25–29, San Jose CA), pp. 70–77 (1993).Google Scholar
- Kaufman, A. Volume Visualization. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA (1990).Google Scholar
- Max, N., Hanrahan, P., Crawfis, R. Area and volume coherence for efficient visualization of 3D scalar functions. A.C.M.Computer Graphics (Proc. of 1990 WS on Volume Visualization), 24 (5), 27–33 (1990).Google Scholar
- Preparata, F., Shamos, M. Computational Geometry - An Introduction. Springer-Verlag (1985).Google Scholar
- Stein, C., Becker, B., Max, N. Sorting and Hardware Assisted Rendering for Volume Visualization. In: Proceedings of 1994 Symposium on Volume Visualization, pp. 83–90. ACM Press (1994).Google Scholar
- Williams, P. Interactive splatting of nonrectilinear volumes. In: A. Kaufman, G. Nielson (eds.), Visualization ‘82 Proceedings, pp. 37–45. IEEE Computer Society Press (1992).Google Scholar
- Williams, P. Interactive Direct Volume Rendering of Curvilinear and Unstructured Data. Ph.D. thesis, University of Illinois at Urbana—Champaign (1993).Google Scholar
- Williams, P., Max, N. A volume density optical model. In: A. Kaufman, W. Lorensen (eds.), 1992 Workshop on Volume Visualization, pp. 61–68. ACM Press (1992).Google Scholar