Improving Availability Bounds using the Failure Distance Concept
Continuous-time Markov chains are commonly used for dependability modeling of repairable fault-tolerant computer systems. Realistic models of non-trivial fault-tolerant systems easily have very large state spaces. An attractive approach which has been proposed to deal with the largeness problem is the use of pruning-based methods which provide error bounds. Using results from Courtois and Semai, a method for bounding the steady-state availability has been recently developed by Muntz, de Souza e Silva, and Goyal. This paper presents a new method based on a different approach which exploits the concept of failure distance to better bound the behavior out of the non-generated state space. The proposed method yields tighter bounds. Numerical analysis shows that the improvement is typically significant.
KeywordsFailure Event Repair Rate Failed Component Failure Distance Reward Rate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. E. Barlow and F. Proshan, Statistical Theory of Reliability and Life Testing. Probability Models, McArdle Press, Silver Spring, 1981.Google Scholar
- M. A. Boyd, M. Veeraraghavan, J. B. Dugan, and K. S. Trivedi, “An approach to solving large reliability models,” in Proc. AIAA Components in Aerospace Conference, pp. 245-258, 1988.Google Scholar
- J. A. Carrasco, “Failure distance-based simulation of repairable faulttolerant systems,” in Proc. 5th Int. Conf on Modelling Techniques and Tools for Computer Performance Evaluation, pp. 351-365, Elsevier, 1992.Google Scholar
- J. A. Carrasco, “Tight steady-state availability bounds using the failure distance concept,” Research report, September 1993, submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- P. J. Courtois and P. Semai, “Bounds for transient characteristics of large or infinite Markov chains,” in W. J. Stewart, editor, Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on Numerical Solution of Markov Chains, pp. 413-434, Marcel Dekker, 1991.Google Scholar
- J. G. Kemeny and J. L. Snell, Finite Markov Chains, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2nd edition, 1978.Google Scholar
- J. C. S. Lui and R. R. Muntz, “Evaluating bounds on steady-state availability of repairable systems from Markov models,” in W. J. Stewart, editor, Proc. 1st Int. Conf. on Numerical Solution of Markov Chains, pp. 435-454, Marcel Dekker, 1991.Google Scholar