Different methodological approaches for the construction of a therapy sensitive ADL scale for the assessment of Alzheimer patients
The purpose of this paper was the presentation of the work of the international ADL project which aims to construct a therapy sensitive ADL scale for cognitively impaired elderly or demented patients. No final scale was presented, rather different ways for generating ADL items were introduced. Different methodological approaches were applied because no existing ADL or I ADL scale meets the various goals of the international ADL project. By surveying existing scales or assessment tools for measuring daily life behaviour it was recognized that no traditional method of scale construction seems appropriate. Instead, different methodological approaches were adapted in order to meet the high demands for a newly to be constructed internationally valid and therapy sensitive ADL scale for mild to moderate dementia. The scale construction is still in progress. A first scale is expected to be tested by the end of 1994. An international validation in European and American research centers (including one center in Russia) is planned.
KeywordsAlzheimer Patient Item Pool Demented Patient Scale Construction Moderate Dementia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- CPMP Working Party on Efficacy of Medicinal Products (1993) Note for Guidance. Antidementia Medicinal Products.Google Scholar
- Erzigkeit H (1989) Diskussionspapier: Entwicklung internationaler ADL-Skalen für den Einsatz bei Patienten mit dementiellen Erkrankungen (unpublished).Google Scholar
- Erzigkeit H, Lehfeld H, Schultheiß O (1993) International dementia research: comments on the validation of psychometric measures and proposals for the definition of clinical relevance. In: Hindmarch I, Stonier PJ (eds) Human psychopharmacology: measures and methods, vol 4. Wiley, Chichester.Google Scholar
- Gutzmann H (1988) Senile Demenz vom Alzheimer-Typ. Enke, Stuttgart.Google Scholar
- Kanowski S, Ladurner G, Maurer K, Oswald WD, Stein U (1990) Empfehlungen zur Evaluierung der Wirksamkeit von Nootropika. Z Gerontopsychol Gerontopsychiatr 3:67–79.Google Scholar
- Kemp B, Mitchell J (1992) Functional assessment in geriatric mental health. In: Birren J, Sloane RB, Cohen G (eds) Handbook of mental health and aging, 2nd ed. Academic Press, New York, pp 671–697.Google Scholar
- Methodenforum (1990) Technical report for the Psychiatry Department of the University of Erlangen-Nürnberg.Google Scholar
- Poon LW (1993) On the paradox of improving sensitivity of ADL scales for the detection of behavioral changes in early dementia. Sixth Congress of the International Psychogeriatric Association, September 5–10, 1993, Berlin (Abstract).Google Scholar
- Sclan SG (1993) Common protocol. A functional assessment instrument for pharmacologic trials in dementia. Working paper of the international ADL project (unpublished).Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (1992) The ICD-10 classification of mental and behavioural disorders. WHO, Geneva.Google Scholar