Synaptic pathology in the pathogenesis of Alzheimer dementia
Whereas the number of cortical neurons in human brain does not significantly change with age, there is a significant reduction of synaptic terminals in both normal aging brain and Alzheimer’s disease (AD). Multivariant analysis of a cohort of AD patients showed a highly significant correlation between psychostatus and reduction of midfrontal synapses and large neurons, while there was no correlation with amyloid deposits. Another variable contributing to cognitive decline are numbers or neurofibrillary tangles and neuron loss in the cholinergic nucleus basalis of Meynert These and other recent morphologic data do not support the hypothesis that amyloid deposition is a major pathogenic factor of both neuronal and synaptic loss in aging and AD. The causes of synaptic pathology in AD remain to be elucidated.
KeywordsAlzheimer Disease Alzheimer Dementia Synaptic Terminal Large Neuron Synaptic Loss
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cotman CW, Cummings BJ, Whitson (1991) The role of misdirect plasticity in plaque biogenesis and Alzheimer’s disease pathology. In: Hefti F, Brachet P, Will B, Christen Y (eds) Growth factors and Alzheimer’s disease. Springer, New York, pp 222–233.Google Scholar
- Fuld PA (1978) Psychological testing in the differential diagnosis of the dementia. In: Katzman R, Terry RD, Bick KL (eds) Alzheimer’s disease: senile dementia and related diseases. Raven Press, New York, pp 185–196.Google Scholar
- Hamos JE, DeGennaro LJ, Drachman DA (1989) Synaptic loss in Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. Neurology 39:344–361.Google Scholar
- Masliah E, Terry RD, Alford M, DeTeresa RM, Hansen LA (1991c) Cortical and subcortical patterns of synaptophysin-like immunoreactivity in Alzheimer disease. Am J Pathol 183:235–246.Google Scholar
- Mattis S (1991) Mental status examination for organic mental syndrome in the elderly patients. In: Bellack L, Karasu TB (eds) Geriatric psychiatry. Grune and Stratton, New York, pp 77–121.Google Scholar
- Verano A, Chandran R, Faraldi F, Bennet D, Reyes MG (1990) Volume density of senile plaques in Alzheimer’s disease (Abstract). J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 52:264.Google Scholar