MHEG, Scripts, and Standardisation Issues
Complex issues involve the relationship between MHEG objects and scripts, and the problems encountered in developing standards within this domain. MHEG, ISO 13522 -1, is a DIS (Draft International Standard) [MHEG 93] that specifies the encoding for Multimedia Hypermedia information for interchange. This same ISO working group is responsible for the standardisation of encoding for Audio Visual Interactive Scriptware (AVIs) and providing extensions to MHEG encodings for support of scripting languages, MHEG part 3. Within ITU, Study Groups are developing recommendations for services and protocols that will support AVI services[ITU-T 93]. Much of the activity in ISO JTC 1/SC 29/WG 12, and ITU SG 11/Q.8 is aligned; in some cases joint text may be published.
The purpose of this paper is to explore the nature of the problems involving multimedia hypermedia object interchange, presentation and interaction supported by scripts in a distributed environment, and the current status of the work of ISO and ITU-T standards groups with respect to their views of the problems.
KeywordsObject Class Script Language Script Representation Draft International Standard AudioVisual Interactive
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [AFN 92]Norme experimentale AFNOR Z62040-1–2–3–4 “Représentation Des Applications Audiovisuelles Interactives”Google Scholar
- [A.O 92]Coded representation of AVI scripts, PART I : Base notation, Working document A.O DRAFT, SOURCE SC29/WG12(MHEG)Google Scholar
- [AVI 93]The AVI initiative: Functional requirements and proposed framework for standardisation, ITU-T Q8/11 & ISO SC29/WG12-MHEG reference working document.Google Scholar
- [ITU-T 93]ITU-T Rec. F.740 “Audiovisual Interactive Services: General Description” (1993)Google Scholar
- [FRO&al. 89 ]La RAVI: Objectifs, Apergu des spécifications, Produits industriels, évolution, Technical Report CCETT/RT/1989/N°5, J. FROMONT, F. KRETZ, PL MAZOYER, F. OGUETGoogle Scholar
- [MARK 93]ISO IEC JTC1/SC18/WG8 SMSL Working Document, B. MARKEYGoogle Scholar
- [MHEG 93]Committee Draft ISO/IEC CD 13522–1 (1993): “Coded Representation Of Multimedia And Hypermedia Objects (MHEG)”.Google Scholar
- [NEWC 91]HyTime: Hypermedia/Time-based Document Structuring Language, Communication of the ACM, Nov. 1991, Vol. 34 N°11, Steven R. NEWCOMB, Neill A. KIPP, Victorai T. NEWCOMBGoogle Scholar
- [TR SC18 93]Technical Report on Hypermedia and Hypermedia: Model and Framework, Source: SC18/WG1 (1992)Google Scholar
- [Z60R 89]Report Of The AFNOR Z60R Adhoc Group on Audiovisual Interactive Applications, AFNOR Document (1989)Google Scholar