Uniform Access to Images within Open Distributed Environments
A huge variety of (de facto) standards for image interchange, compression, and communication is employed today in different systems, applications, and environments. Within the AMICS project a framework, called Image Communication Open Architecture (ICOA) was elaborated that enables the various standards and standardization activities both in the imaging area and in the wider area of image communication to be related and the necessary support tools to be identified. Although the framework sets a clear emphasis on the handling of images, the ICOA fulfills the image communication requirements from a wide range of application areas including multimedia.
Based on the ICOA framework, software tools that support that framework were developed that focus on different requirements for image communication. Within AMICS, one image communication requirement was perceived to underlie all the others, that of providing uniform access to images whether they are stored locally or remotely. Such uniform access is provided through the ICOA Image Handling Interface (IHI). The IHI is realized by means of the ICOA Image Handler that is modelled as an Open Distributed Processing (ODP) object. The Image Handler encompasses the support of various compression schemes and (image) data formats, as well as different conversion facilities.
KeywordsCompression Scheme Image Communication Rutherford Appleton Laboratory Uniform Access Basic Data Type
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ANSA: object pioneers ,volume 7. Technology Appraisals Ltd., February 1993.Google Scholar
- I. Defée, editor. Strategies and Architectures for Conversion in ICOA. Deliverable R2056/TUT/DS/P/006/bl, RACE Project R2056 Advanced Multimedia Image Communication Services (AMICS), December 1993.Google Scholar
- S. Evans, N.A. Thacker, R. Yates, and P.A. Ivey. A Massively Parallel Vector Processor for Image Communications. In Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Image Communication (IMAGE’COM 93) ,pages 303–308, Bordeaux, March 1993. SEE, IREST, ADERA.Google Scholar
- FTP (File Transfer Protocol) ,Request for Comments (RFC) 959. Internet Network Working Group, October 1985.Google Scholar
- Andrew Herbert. Communication Aspects of ANSA. Cmputer Standards & Interfaces ,8:49–56, 1988.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC CD 10746’2: Information Technology Information Retrieval, Transfer and Management for OSI Basic Reference Model of Open Distributed Processing ODP, Part 2: Descriptive Model ISO/IEC, June 1993.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC CD 10746’3: Information Technology Information Retrieval, Transfer and Management for OSI Basic Reference Model of Open Distributed Processing ODP, Part 3: Prescriptive Model. ISO/IEC, June 1993.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC CD 10746–4: Information Technology Information Retrieval, Transfer and Management for OSI Basic Reference Model of Open Distributed Processing ODP, Part 4: Architectural Semantics, Specification Techniques and Formalisms. ISO/IEC, June 1993.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC CD 11404: Information Technology Programming Languages Common Language-Independent Data Types (CLIDT). ISO/IEC, 1991.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC DIS 12087–1: Information Technology Computer Graphics and Image Processing Image Processing and Interchange (IPI) Functional Specification Part 1: Common Architecture for Imaging (CAI). ISO/IEC, November 1992.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC IS 8571–1: Information Processing Systems Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) File Transfer, Access and Management (FTAM) Part 1: General Introduction. ISO/IEC, 1988.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC IS 11072: Information Technology Computer Graphics Computer Graphics Reference Model ISO/IEC, 1992.Google Scholar
- ISO/IEC WD 10746–1: Information Technology Information Retrieval, Transfer and Management for OSI Basic Reference Model of Open Distributed Processing ODP, Part 1: Overview and Guide to Use. ISO/IEC, August 1993.Google Scholar
- OMG. The Common Object Request Broker: Architecture and Specification ,December 1991. draft.Google Scholar
- W. Rosenberry, D. Kenney, and G. Fisher. Understanding DCE. O’Reilly & Associates, Inc., May 1993.Google Scholar
- R. Strack, C. Blum, D. Duce, D. Sutcliffe, N. García, M.J. Pérez-Luque, E. Moeller, and H. Peyn. Image Communication Open Architecture. Computer and Graphics ,18(1), 1994.Google Scholar
- R. Strack editor, C. Blum, R. Cordes, I. Defée, D.A. Duce, N. García, G.R. Hofmann, R. Maybury, E. Moeller, M.J. Pérez-Luque, D.C. Sutcliffe, and R. Strack. Conceptual Building Blocks for an Image Communication Open Architecture (ICOA). Deliverable R2056/FhG/IGD/DS/P/002/bl, RACE Project R2056 Advanced Multimedia Image Communication Services (AMICS), April 1993.Google Scholar