Natural recombination in bovine viral diarrhea viruses
BVDV isolates exist as two biotypes differentiated at the molecular level by production of a p80 polypeptide. Insertions consisting of host cell sequences and/or duplicated and rearranged viral sequences have been observed in the portion of the genome coding for the p80 polypeptide in some, but not all, cytopathic BVDV. The significance of these insertions to biotypic expression has yet to be demonstrated. It has been hypothesized that recombination results in the production of the p80 polypeptide by introduction of a cleavage site into a precursor polypeptide or the introduction of a second copy of the p80 gene. Because inserts have not been identified in all cytopathic BVDV examined, it appears that recombination may not be the only mechanism involved in biotypic determination.
KeywordsBovine Viral Diarrhea Virus Carboxy Terminus Mucosal Disease Border Disease Virus Bovine Viral Diarrhea Virus Infection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Wengler G (1991) Family Flaviviridae. In: Francki RIB, Fauquet CM, Knudson DL, Brown F (eds) Classification and Nomenclature of Viruses: Fifth Report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. Springer, Wien New York, pp 232–233 (Arch Virol [Suppl] 2 )Google Scholar
- 12.Bolin SR, McClurkin AW, Cutlip RC, Coria MF (1985) Response of cattle persistently infected with noncytopathic bovine viral diarrhea virus to vaccination of bovine viral diarrhea and to subsequent challenge exposure with cytopathic bovine viral diarrhea virus. Am J Vet Res 46: 2467–2470PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Meyers G, Rumenapf T, Thiel H-J (1990) Insertion of ubiquitin-coding sequence identified in the RNA genome of a togavirus. In: Brinton MA, Heinz FX (eds) New aspects of positive strand RNA viruses. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, pp 25–29Google Scholar
- 25.Greiser-Wilke I, Haas L, Dittmar K, Liess B, Moennig V (1992) Bovine viral diarrhoea (BVD) virus: How frequent are insertions in the coding region for the nonstructural proteins pl25 from cytopathogenic BVD virus strains? Proc Second Symp Ruminant Pestiviruses. Fondation Marcel Mérieux, Lyon, pp 69–70Google Scholar
- 26.Ridpath JF, Bolin SR, Sawyer M, Osburn BI (1992) Molecular characterization of a North American isolate of cytopathic border disease virus. Proc Second Symp Ruminant Pestiviruses. Fondation Marcel Mérieux, Lyon, pp 35–40Google Scholar