The genetic and functional basis of HIV-1 resistance to nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors
The nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase (RT) inhibitors are structurally diverse compounds that are specific inhibitors of the human immunodeficiency virus type 1 RT enzyme. The compounds are largely functionally identical and bind to a common site in the enzyme. HIV-1 variants that exhibit reduced susceptibility to these inhibitors have been derived in cell culture and, more recently, from HIV-1-infected patients undergoing experimental therapy. The variants express amino acid substitutions at RT positions that apparently interact directly with the inhibitors. Effects of specific substitutions at these positions vary among the compounds, suggesting subtle differences in how the compounds physically interact with the enzyme.
KeywordsHuman Immunodeficiency Virus Human Immunodeficiency Virus Type Nonnucleoside Inhibitor Human Immunodeficiency Virus Reverse Transcriptase Nucleoside Inhibitor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barre-Sinoussi F, Chermann JC, Rey F, Nugeyre MT, Chamaret S, Gruest J, Dauguet C, Axler-Blin C, Vezinet-Brun F, Rouzioux C, Rozenbaum W, Montagnier L (1983) Isolation of a T-lymphotropic retrovirus from a patient at risk for acquired immunodeficiency syndrome ( AIDS ). Science 220: 868–871Google Scholar
- 3.Fischl MA, Richman DD, Grieco MH, Gottlieb MS, Volberding PA, Laskin OL, Leedom JM, Groopman JE, Mildvan D, Schooley RT, Jackson GG, Durack DT, King D, AZT Collaborative Working Group (1987) The efficacy of azidothymidine ( AZT) in the treatment of patients with AIDS and AIDS-related complex. N Engl J Med 317: 185–191Google Scholar
- 4.Butler KM, Husso RN, Balis FM, Brouwers P, Eddy J, El-Amin D, Gress J, Hawkins M, Jarosinski P, Moss H, Poplack D, Santacroce S, Venzon D, Wiener L, Wolters P, Pizzo PA (1991) Dideoxyinosine in children with symptomatic human immunodeficiency virus syndrome. N Engl J Med 324: 137–144PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Larder BA, Darby G, Richman DD (1989) HIV with reduced sensitivity to Zidovudine ( AZT) isolated during prolonged therapy. Science 243: 1731–1734Google Scholar
- 8.Richmann DD, Grimes JM, Lagakos SW (1990) Effect of stage of disease and drug dose of zidovudine susceptibilities of isolates of human immunodeficiency virus. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 3: 743–746Google Scholar
- 10.Goldman ME, Nunberg JH, O’Brien JA, Quintero JC, Schleif WA, Freund KF, Gaul SL, Saari WS, Wai JS, Hoffman JM, Anderson PS, Hupe DJ, Emini EA, Stern AM (1991) Pyridinone derivatives: specific human immunodeficiency virus type 1 reverse transcriptase inhibitors with antiviral activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 6863–6867PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Saari WS, Hoffman JM, Wai JS, Fisher TE, Rooney CS, Smith AM, Thomas CM, Goldman ME, O’Brien JA, Nunberg JH, Quintero JC, Schleif WA, Emini EA, Stern AM, Anderson PS (1991) 2-pyridinone derivatives: a new class of nonnucleoside, HIV-1 specific reverse transcriptase inhibitors. J Med Chem 34: 2922–2925Google Scholar
- 12.Merluzzi VJ, Hargrave KD, Labadia M, Grozinger K, Skoog M, Wu JC, Shih C-K, Eckner K, Hattox S, Adams J, Rosenthal AS, Faanes R, Eckner RJ, Koup RA, Sullivan JL (1990) Inhibition of HIV-1 replication by a nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor. Science 250: 1411–1413PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Pauwels R, Andries K, Desmyter J, Schols D, Kukla MJ, Breslin HJ, Raeymaeckers A, van Gelder J, Woestenborghs R, Heykants J, Schellekens K, Janssen MAC, DeClerq E, Jannsen PA (1990) Potent and selective inhibition of HIV-1 replication in vitro by a novel series of TIBO derivatives. Nature 343: 470–474PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Cohen KA, Hopkins J, Ingraham RH, Pargellis C, Wu JC, Palladino DEH, Kinkade P, Warren TC, Rogers S, Adams J, Farina PR, Grob PM (1991) Characterization of the binding site for nevirapine (BI-RG-587), a nonnucleoside inhibitor of human immunodeficiency virus type-1 reverse transcriptase. J Biol Chem 22: 14670–14674Google Scholar
- 20.Condra JH, Emini EA, Gotlib L, Graham DJ, Schlabach AJ, Wolfgang JA, Colonno RJ, Sardana VV (1992) Identification of the human immunodeficiency virus reverse transcriptase residues that contribute to the activity of diverse nonnucleoside inhibitors. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 36: 1441–1446PubMedGoogle Scholar