Semicarbazide-sensitive amine oxidases in sheep plasma: interactions with some substrates and inhibitors
The present study has examined the affinities of sheep plasma semicarbazide-sensitive amine oxidase (SSAO) enzymes for a range of aliphatic amines and also the effects of two inhibitory compounds, ß-aminopropionitrile (BAPN) and mexiletine. Two kinetically separable enzyme activities appeared to be responsible for the metabolism of amines containing 2-5 carbon atoms while the deamination of higher amines and methylamine and allylamine produced kinetic plots characteristic of only one enzyme activity. When benzylamine metabolism was used as an indication of enzyme activity, the two inhibitors had different effects. BAPN exhibited predominantly a mixed pattern of inhibition while the effects of low concentrations of mexiletine were largely competitive. These results present evidence confirming the presence of two kinetically separable SSAO activities in sheep plasma, although we must await the development of highly selective inhibitors before these two activities can be fully resolved.
KeywordsAliphatic Amine Amine Oxidase Lysyl Oxidase Amine Oxidase Activity High Amine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Blaschko H, Friedman PJ, Hawes R, Nilsson K (1959) The amine oxidases of mammalian plasma. J Physiol (London) 145: 384–404.Google Scholar
- Blaschko H, Hawes R (1959) Observations on spermine oxidase of mammalian plasma. J Physiol (London) 145: 124–131.Google Scholar
- Callingham BA, Cass R (1963) The determination of catecholamines in biological materials. In: Varley H, Gowenlock AH (eds) The clinical chemistry of mono-amines. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 19–30.Google Scholar
- Callingham BA (1977) Substrate selective inhibition of monoamine oxidase by mex-iletine. Br J Pharmacol 61: 118–119P.Google Scholar
- Dar A (1992) An in vitro study of pulmonary vascular reactivity and amine oxidase activity in the horse. Thesis, University of Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Elliott J, Callingham BA, Sharman DF (1992) Amine oxidase enzymes of sheep blood vessels and blood plasma: a comparison of their properties. Comp Biochem Physiol 102C 1: 83–89.Google Scholar
- Guilbault GG, Brignac PJ, Juneau M (1968) New substrates for the fluorimetric determination of oxidative enzymes. Anal Biochem 40: 1256–1263.Google Scholar
- Levene CI (1971) Effect of lathyrogenic compounds on the cross-linking of collagen and elastin in vivo. In: Aldridge N (ed) A symposium on mechanisms of toxicity. Macmillan, London, pp 67–85.Google Scholar
- Loew O (1918) Über die Natur der Giftwirkung des Suprarenins. Biochem Z 85: 295–305.Google Scholar