Calculation of three-dimensional flows with complex boundaries using a multigrid method
The paper describes a multigrid method for calculating incompressible laminar and turbulent 3 D flows with complex geometries. The flow solver is based on an iterative finite-volume method employing non-staggered, general curvilinear grids. The convergence of the basic solver is accelerated by a Full-Approximation-Scheme/Full Multigrid Method. The iterative SIMPLE scheme for solving the coupled momentum and continuity equations and the strongly implicit procedure (SIP) for solving iteratively the linear algebraic equations are found to have good smoothing properties for use in the multigrid method. Applications of the method to a few laminar and turbulent flows are presented. The performance is compared with that of single-grid calculations and demonstrates that considerable computing time can be saved with the multigrid method also for geometrically complex flows and when turbulence-model equations are solved.
KeywordsCoarse Grid Fine Grid Multigrid Method Horseshoe Vortex Multi Grid Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hackbusch, W., Trottenberg, U. (eds.): Multigrid methods. Lectures Notes in Mathematics, Vol. 960. Berlin Heidelberg New York: Springer 1982.Google Scholar
- Barcus, M., Peric, M., Scheuerer, G.: A control-volume-based full multigrid procedure for the prediction of two-dimensional, laminar, incompressible flows. In: Notes on numerical fluid mechanics, Vol. 20 (Aeville, M., ed.), pp. 9–16. Braunschweig: Vieweg 1988.Google Scholar
- Thompson, M. C., Ferziger, H. J: An adaptive multigrid solution technique for the steady-state incompressible Navier-Stokes equations. In: Computational fluid dynamics (de Vahl Davies, G., Fletcher, C., eds.), pp. 715–724. Amsterdam: Elsevier 1988.Google Scholar
- Perie, M.: Efficient semi-implicit solving algorithm for nine-diagonal coefficient matrix, Num. Heat Transfer 11, 251–279 (1987).Google Scholar
- Orth, A.: Mehrgittermethode zur Berechnung inkompressibler, stationärer Strömungen mit krummlinigen Berandungen. Dissertation, Universität Karlsruhe 1991.Google Scholar
- Kiehm, P., Mitra, N. K., Fiebig, M.: Numerical investigation of two-and three-dimensional confined wakes behind a circular cylinder in a channel. AIAA Paper 86–0035 (1986).Google Scholar