Epidemiology of bovine spongiform encephalopathy and related diseases
The occurrence of bovine spongiform encephalopathy in Great Britain, first detected in 1986, has necessarily stimulated a large research programme. Encompassed in this are studies of the epidemiology of the disease. These commenced in 1987 and are continuing. The ensuing results have been reported and reviewed during the course of the epidemic [13, 17, 20]. This paper provides a brief overview of the results of the epidemiological studies, but concentrates on the more recent features of the epidemic which are important in assessing the future course of the disease.
KeywordsBovine Spongiform Encephalopathy Cattle Population Bone Meal Maternal Transmission Veterinary Surgeon
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bradley R, Matthews D (1992) Sub-acute, transmissible spongiform encephalopathies: current concepts and future needs. Rev Sci Tech Off Int Epiz 11: 605–634Google Scholar
- 6.Kirkwood JK, Wells GAH, Wilesmith JW, Cunningham AA, Jackson SI (1990) Spongiform encephalopathy in an Arabian oryx (Oryx leucoryx) and a greater kudu (Tragelaphus strepsiceros). Vet Rec 127–420Google Scholar
- 7.Kirkwood JK, Wells GAH, Cunningham AA, Jackson SI, Scott AC, Dawson M, Wilesmith JW (1992) Scrapie-like encephalopathy in greater kudu (Tragelaphus strepsiceros): morbidity in an index case offspring without dietary exposure to ruminant derived protein. Vet Rec 130: 365–367PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Order (1990) The bovine spongiform encephalopathy (No 2) (Amendment) Order 1990. Statutory Instrument 1990, No 1930. HMSO, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 12.Wilesmith JW (1991) Bovine spongiform encephalopathy: epidemiological approaches, trials and tribulations. In: Proceedings of the sixth international symposium on veterinary epidemiology and economics, pp 32–43Google Scholar
- 13.Wilesmith JW (1992) Epidemiology of bovine spongiform encephalopathy. Semin Virol 2: 239–245Google Scholar
- 22.Wyatt JM, Pearson GR, Smerdon TN, Gruffyd-Jones TJ, Wells GAH (1990) Spongiform encephalopathy in a cat. Vet Rec 126: 513Google Scholar