Software Process Improvement by Measurement BOOTSTRAP/ESPRIT Project 5441
A new paradigm in software engineering claims that the quality of a product is highly impacted by the quality of the process which gives rise to it. To reduce the risk to product and project we therefore seek to quantify the quality of the development process. Software process measurement represents an evaluation of all the management activities, methods, and technologies that are employed to develop a software product. BOOTSTRAP developed a method to determine the profile of a Software Producing Unit (SPU) showing its strengths and weaknesses. This paper is intended to illustrate a methodology of software process measurement and will present some sample results.
KeywordsMaturity Level Software Process Improvement Synthetic Indicator Risk Avoidance Software Engineer Institute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BOL91]T.B. Bollinger, C. McGowan: A Critical Look at Software Capability Evaluations.IEEE Software, July 1991, pp. 25–41Google Scholar
- [ESA91]ESA Board for Software Standardization and Control: ESA Software Engineering Standards, European Space Agency, Paris, France: 1991Google Scholar
- [ESP91]ESPRIT Project 5441 BOOTSTRAP: Phase I Interim Report.Composite Deliverable 7, Commission for European Communities (CEC), July 1991Google Scholar
- [HAS91]V.Haase, R. Messnarz: A Survey Study on Approaches in Technology Transfer, Software Management and Organization. Report 305, Institutes for Information Processing Graz, June 1991Google Scholar
- [HUM91]Humphrey W.S., Bill Curtis: Comments on ‘A Critical Look’. IEEE Software, July 1991, pp. 42–46Google Scholar
- [HUM89]Humphrey W.S.: Managing the Software Process, 494p., SEI Software Engineering Institute, New York, Amsterdam, Bonn, Madrid, Tokyo: Addison - Wesley Publishing Company 1989Google Scholar
- [HUM91a]Humphrey W.S., T.R. Snyder, R.R. Willis: Software Process Improvement at Hughes Aircraft. IEEE Software, July 1991, pp. 11–23Google Scholar
- [ISO87]ISO 9000–3: European Standard for Quality Management and Quality Assurance, European Committee for Standardization, Bruxelles: 1987Google Scholar
- [PAU91]M.C. Paulk, B. Curtis, M.B. Chrissis: Capability Maturity Model for Software, Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, August 1991Google Scholar